Anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
I am looking to add a second anchor as a spare for my h46. I am going to get the F37 but do not know the size of the rode (line

B

Bob Bass

I don't know what chain came with your boat, but as a second anchor the F37 is a good choice. Since it is a second anchor, it will not be going through the chain gypsy. Lifting the F37 by hand is not so bad being aluminium. I would, however, recommend that you use 3/8" chain to help the lightweight anchor set and stay set. I would use at least 40 feet of chain, followed by 3/4" 3-braid nylon rode. I assume your primary anchor is a Delta. If you are cruising and anchoring out, you might consider getting at least 150' of 3/8 chain followed by 3/4 rode for the primary anchor. The original Lewmar windlass that came with my 450 would work with both 5/16 and 3/8 chain (BBB). I have since changed my windlass to a Vetus. We anchor out for six months at a time in the Bahamas and the Lewmar kept eating up brushes since it is a two-wire type motor that is overworked. The Vetus is a three-wire motor and much, much larger for a similar pull rating. For additional information on anchoring, you might want to listen to "The Anchoring Dance" by Eileen Quinn. It's a hoot!

Mar 5, 2004
- - Annapolis
Comments on the F-37

We replaced the stock Delta with the F-37 on our 460 for use in the Chesapeake. Our experience was that the Delta drags slowly thru the soft mud bottom common the chesapeake. We lengthened the stock 3/3 BBB chain to 100 feet and left the same 100 feet of 3/4 inch rode that came with the boat. Its far more secure than the Delta in the Chesapeake. Recommmend using the F-37 as the primary and the Delta as the backup where the bottom is rocky/crusty since it can penentrate the bottom. Fortress is great in sand and mid. The windlass design can only handle a single chain. We normally deploy the chain and then attach a separate rode to the last link (or an intermediate link for tight anchoarges) with a stainless shakle and let the rode go to just below the water line and secure the second rode to the cleat in the anchor well. This keeps the boat from running over the rope rode. I am also leery of the rope to chain splice. I am considering the idea of adding a stainless shakle between the existing rode and chain. After the boat is anchored and the 20-30 foot separate rode is attached to the chain with a the stainless shakle, I could then release the primary rode, and pull a second chain from the locker through the chain access hole beneath the windlass and attach it to the secondary anchor (presumably the Delta). It could then be launched. It could work. But not as good as a two chain windlass.

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 450 Magothy R., MD, Chesapeake Bay
2nd Anchor

Just a thought, a Bruce 40 lb. anchor will fit on the bow roller. On our 450 we use a 60 lb CQR as are primary and the Bruce as a 2nd anchor. If you use the Bruce just add a piece of rubber (we use part of a West Marine chafe material) on the anchor edge to protect the boat hull & clip the bruce on top to the bow roller to slightly rotate the anchor away from the hull. I got this idea from a 460 owner. Chain & rode - as big and as much as you can. Like Bob Bass, I also have a different windless and carry lots of chain, up to 200' of 3/4 HT on both anchors. Good Luck, Gordon Myers (h450) Utopia III

May 20, 2004
Hunter 44 Toronto, Ontario
anchors

comments and questions 1) Bob, what are the symptoms of brush problems on the lewmar windlass? Mine will lift and stall, lift and stall over and over again. 2) We have a 66# Bruce as our primary with 200' of chain. It holds very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.