Anchor Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric

Long Island Sound out of the Essex area what type of anchor should I purchase. She is a 290.

B

Bob Zolczer

Anchor Choice

I sail a H29.5 out of Milford, CT. I have 2 anchors: a 25 lb CQR and a 20lb Hi Tensile Danforth. The Danforth is good for mud/sand. The CQR is good for grassy and rocky bottoms. If I had to pick just one for LI Sound, it would be the Danforth. I also use an anchor sentinel to prevent keel wrap. I have about 15 feet of chain on both anchors. I use one size up screw type quick links to change anchors according to bottom type. Hunter gave us a 13# danforth type which seemed to hold OK, but I just didn't trust it in a decent blow.

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Agree with Bob

Feb.10,2001 Dear Eric, I agree with Bob's choices without even needing to know the type of bottom prevalent in your area. I also think you should have more than one anchor because no one anchor works all the time in every bottom. One should be either a CQR or Bruce type and the other should be either a Danforth or Fortress. I also agree with Bob on the size of the anchors he suggests for a boat your size. Although he may never have had any problems getting a hook set, I would want more a bit more chain and regard 40 feet as the minimum I would want, although many people are happy with less. I am unsure about the screw link Bob is using and prefer a shackle which is safety wired using stainless rigging wire on the bolt. I do use screw links on the chain connection for the dinghy anchor. You may be using 5/16 inch chain and the problem there is that it is often difficult to find a shackle small enough to fit through the links, but a screw link fits. I just don't know the working strength of the screw link and consequently approach them with caution. We carry three anchors: a 45# CQR, a 47 # Danforth and a 33# Bruce, which we use as a stern anchor. The CQR is on 60 fathoms of 3/8 BBB chain, the Danforth has 8 fathoms of 3/8 BBB chain and 40 fathoms of rope, and the Bruce rides on 17 fathoms of 3/8 BBB chain and 30 fathoms of rope. Fair winds, Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

R

Rob Rich

Bob and Brian - Question

I have often thought of mounting the anchor on my C-27 on the bow pulpit, but I do not have an anchor locker. The alternatives to an anchor locker are basically none, as the V-birth extends to the point of the bow. If I were to mount it forward, I would need to have a quick-detach rode. I have never seen a rode/chain attachement device that would let me sleep comfortably except for the one on Brian's ship (which is what I have). I recently saw one of the "quick link" variety of fastners, and assume that is what you are using, Bob. How well does it work? What is the propensity for corrosion/failure/accidental opening? I sail on an inland lake, in Austin, Texas, which generally runs 7-18 knot winds. But I can safely say that if you haven't experienced a Texas/Great Plains thunderstorm, you haven't seen the real thing. They may not last long, but they are extremely violent due to the heat/convection down here. This is what I am afraid will creep up on me one night at 4 am and knock my boat into the rocks. Sorry for the lenghty post, but anchors are not "sexy" and rarely talked about. I am interested in hearing more about a quick method of anchor attachment/detachment. Thanks! Rob

B

Bob Zolczer

Quick Links

Eric, Brian has a good point about using a proper anchor shackle, but I've been using screw type quick links for about 5 years. When I bought them, I checked breaking strength and found if you go one size up,i.e. 3/8 quick link with 5/16 chain, the breaking strength is roughly equal. I do make sure that they're tightened with a pair of vice grips every time I use them. I do use a proper shackle with seizing wire at the initial attachment of chain to anchor. Part of the reason I get away with so little chain in getting the anchor to set is that I use a sentinel, which is a weight (in my case 20 lbs) which hangs from the bow to just above the bottom. This keeps the pull more nearly horizontal and keeps the anchor rode from wrapping itself around the keel when wind and tide oppose each other. It also cuts down on "sailing" at anchor. I use stainless quick links and haven't had a problem with corrosion, I hope this answers your questions.

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

There's the answer

Feb.12, 2001 Dear Eric, Bob has done his homework on this and it looks like the larger screw link will do the job, based on both Bob's experience and the strength of the link. I had forgotten about using what Bob calls a sentinel and we call a kellet ( a weight sent down the rode on a messenger line) but can say we used one with good success at our old sailing club to help keep the barge anchored during racing. There use is much more prevalent in Europe than in North America and make raising the anchor easier by reducing the overall weight of the gear that you are lifting. Fair winds, Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

T

Tim Schaaf

do you swing?

Do be careful if you are in a situation where you are likely to swing at anchor. The Danforth will sometimes (maybe more than sometimes) not re-set after you swing. If you are on two anchors (Bahamian moor or bow and stern) you will be OK. Otherwise, consider a Bruce, CQR or Delta type of anchor. These will re-set and permit much better sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.