Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Have anchor chain pulled fairly tight against anchor windlass drum but
after bouncing around one fine windy day noticed that anchor shank
"bounces" up and down in bow roller channel. There is one " single
3/8" ? hole in one side of channel about midway on my 2003 C310
which might be used to secure shank?? West Marine has several
holders but didn't notice one to hold shank. Any suggestions?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I leave a small length of line in the hole in the side of the anchor channel, and run it through the eye of the anchor shank to secure the anchor.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
when the anchor is pulled in to where it should ride, there should be a 13/32" or a 27/64" hole drilled thru each side of the anchor roller bracket that aligns with the eye where the chain attaches to the shank...... this will allow for a 3/8" cross pin to slide thru the bracket, thru the shank eye and thru the other side of the bracket... this will secure the anchor under all conditions.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
when the anchor is pulled in to where it should ride, there should be a 13/32" or a 27/64" hole drilled thru each side of the anchor roller bracket that aligns with the eye where the chain attaches to the shank...... this will allow for a 3/8" cross pin to slide thru the bracket, thru the shank eye and thru the other side of the bracket... this will secure the anchor under all conditions.
Except tha a lot of anchor shanks are longer than the bow roller they ride on...? Even when the roller platform is longer the taper prohibits enough height to drill through and hit the eye...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Except tha a lot of anchor shanks are longer than the bow roller they ride on...? Even when the roller platform is longer the taper prohibits enough height to drill through and hit the eye...
Yup. That is how our oversized Manson Supreme 35 is on the bow of our Catalina 310. We have a system similar to Paulj but I use a ss carabiner to connect directly to the anchor shank. (don't have photos of that part, sorry)

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
yea, I forgot. I thought about that a few hours after i posted.... I always make my own roller assemblies and they are full length, so it is not an option but a standard feature.

if that is the case, making a short channel with a cross pin for the shank to lay in so it can be locked into position is a good idea...
as long as the anchor is locked in at the fluke end and its pinned at the shank eye, the anchor can be left on the roller securely and if done properly, even a violent rollover wont shake it loose.

it can easily be made to actually be padlocked if one has a stainless anchor they dont want walking off. for the all around security it offers, its a very easy thing to do...

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Mine just has a small line tied from the shank eye to the cleat in the anchor locker. It was banging around last time we left the inlet in rough seas. I need to find a better way to secure the shank.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Put this simple device together to keep the anchor secure while underway.
I know that will keep it from falling overboard, but so will the line I have now,
How do you keep it from bouncing around?