Anchor Sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I was looking at an article in my recent "Lat & Att" and there was a note on a anchor sail by Banner Bay Marine that hanks onto a backstay. My H376 tends to sail a bit and this looks like a good product, but of course I have no backstay. Could I attach to the topping lift?? Thanks, Bob F

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Just attach tack near transom and hoist head

tight with main halyard, then pull the clue forward with a jack line. The further aft the "riding sail" (i.e. a sail for riding at anchor)is set, the more effective it should be. If the luff is not well reinforced use a length of wire or rope between tack and head to do so. If there is no suitable connection point high enough above the transom to let the foot clear the aft pulpit, just rig a bridle between the aft cleats or any two strong points. Have fun! Flying Dutchman PS Keep your riding sail always closeby and handy. In case of sudden leaks due to hull damage, particularly near the bow, it may be the fastest way to help stem the influx of water by tying it as an external mat over the hole.

L

Larry Long

It worked for me.

I made an anchor sail for our 380 and was finally able to sleep at anchor. The difference was phenominal. I sewed a length of 3/8 Sta-Set line into the leech of the sail with enough at the bottom to tie around the end of the boom. At the top I had an eye that allowed me to attached the main halyard. A strong loop sewn in the front of the sail let me to use a line from the front of the sail to the mast. A trucker's hitch in that line provided sufficient tension to keep the sail straight. I have heard some people on this board voice objections to the use of the riding sail. Their concern was additional windage. The way the sail works is similar to the feathers on an arrow. The sail will reposition your boat, relative to the wind so that there is the least possible side force on the sail, so it is always pointing straight into the wind.

Attachments

J

Jim Smith

Topping Lift (and Pics of Anchor Riding Sails)

Bob F, I was asking this same question to my dealer last weekend and he said yes (attaching to the topping lift). I then spent some time poking through the archives on here as well as around on the web and found a lot (ie "A LOT") of information, with the only common thread seeming to echo Henk's comment about the further aft it is set the better it performs. The designs of a riding sail seem to follow no set pattern. I've added some links to articles on riding sails and I have pics of different designs on my website (Larry Long, I'd like to add your pic too) as well as some other suggestions on reducing "sailing at anchor": http://sailingforever.home.comcast.net/anchor_riding_sails.htm Regards, -Jim- s/v Forever

S

Steve Feinsilver

Seriously deprived

Would love to have a riding sail, but have a 2000 h410 with arch (so no topping lift, although I guess I could put one on), furling main (so I never take the main halyard off, would not be very convenient to use for this), and of course no backstay. So what do I attach the thing to? Sky hooks? S/V Breathless h410 #250, US 51855

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Use your spinnaker halyard, perhaps ?

Or hoist one or two riding sails along the aft-facing vertical edges of the arch, while tying the clew(s)off on the aft cleats (or anything else far enough aft). Success, Flying Dutchman

B

Bob Bass

Mine Works On 450

We were swinging so bad that our Follow-Me-TV could not keep up. We had one built by Mack Sails in Stuart that worked very well. It was actually two triangles, connected on one side that was hooked between the topping lift and end of the boom. The two other points of the triangles point forward and down and spread out kind of like a bird and tie forward. It results in two triangular areas that resist the wind as the boat tries to swing and I think that is why it works so well.

H

Harry Greenspun

More detail?

Bob, Can you give some more details? I'm having trouble visualizing the setup of what ties to where and how the triangles are oriented. Any chance you have a photo? Thanks. Harry Greenspun Betheda, MD Hunter 456 - "Czech Mate" harry@greenspun.com

J

jim Smith

Bob, does it look like this? (Harry, check it out

http://sailingforever.home.comcast.net/how_thread.htm If so, then Harry you can go to Arlyn Stewarts home page for more details: http://www.stewartfam.net/arlyn/riding.html Bob, if it is a design that is different that what I have posted above I'd very much like to get more detail if you have it! Regards to all! -Jim- s/v Forever

T

Tom

A different idea that works great for us.

We have a 380 that always sailed around the anchor. What we found to work great was to drop a second anchor off the bow with rode that is a few feet longer than the depth of the water. The idea is as the boat sails, the second anchor drags and keeps the bow still. This works great for us, and we've been in some tight anchorages.

Status
Not open for further replies.