Anchor Rode Wraps Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mel

We were recently anchored in a channel with reasonably high tide currents and a 15-18 mph wind. We were using a plow anchor with 35 ft of chain on rope. Our average depth was 12 ft and we had a 7 to 1 ratio with solid anchor set. When the tide changed direction (wind stayed out of Northeast) the boat twisted over the rode from over one face of the keel and off the back at a right angle. The result was a lot of chaffing during the night. Next time it happened we turned the boat with the dingy. Has anyone else had this problem or suggestions on how to prevent?

W

Walt Allensworth

Messenger weight

I've heard that running a 10lb messenger weight down about 15-20' from the roller will help the keel swing OVER the anchor line, vs. around it. Using an all chain rhode would also help. There was a thread about this not too long ago, so you might want to hit the archives. This might be ovbious, but whatever you do, don't engage the prop with the keel wrapped up - lotsa potential damage down that path - and maybe even a sinking feeling.

G

Gary Wyngarden

Kellet

Walt, We anchor in places where the tide will spin the boat overrnight. If you are using a healthy amount of scope like seven to one, your angle into the water will be gradual creating the opportunity for fouling the rode on the keel. We are now using a purpose-made 30 pound kellet which we slide down the anchor rode with a messenger line. Where possible we lower the kellet until it's just off the bottom. This permits the use of shorter scope with equal holding power and also makes the rode drop off at a sharper angle permitting it to clear the keel. For more information check out the referenced site. Gary Wyngarden S/V Shibumi H335

D

DJ

Anchor Sentinel

I had the same problem the first night I had my H34 back in 1984. Rode went between rudder and keel. It was noisy with the waves slapping against the stern not to mention the chafe problem. Rode finally slipped out. I solved the problem since then with an Anchor Sentinel. An anchor sentinel is a weight that holds the anchor line down below the keel. I use a bronze anchor rider (to reduce chafe) and an 8 lb mushroom anchor from my dinghy. I use a control line (1/4 inch does the trick) and let the sentinel out about 2 times the depth of the water. The sentinel also helps increase holding power by keeping the line more horizontal. The link below shows an interesting option of a “Bulletproof” bucket you can fill with weights (spare anchor chain, shackles, etc) instead of my mushroom.

M

Mel

Rode Wraps

Thanks for the input. Going to try a mushroom as a "sentinel". Mel

W

Wayne Fredrick

Watch Out Using A sentinel!!

The issue you have described is very common when anchoring in an area with tidal currents. The windage on the exposed part of the boat keeps the bow to wind just like your are normally at anchor, as long as the current is also coming from the bow or not moving at all. Once the current changes direction, the power of the wind keeps the boat head to wind and the current pushes on all of the wetted surfaces of the boat causing it to move over the anchor. A sentinel will work in most cases, but you have to make sure it clears the keel and with an all chain rode if you do not clear the keel or rudder it can get pretty nasty. I have even seen a keel eat thru the rode (personal experience lucky it happenend during the day). The best way to truly make sure you will have no issues is to utilize a stern anchor, this will keep the boat head to wind and prevent the boat from creeping back over the rode and anchor once the tidal current changes directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.