Anchor lost- How can I prevent this next time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie

This weekend while sailing I dropped anchor in Lake Wallenpaupack, this is quite a rocky lake. I anchored for lunch with a danforth anchor and when it came time to leave the anchor didn't want to come with us. Can someone give me some input on how to get the anchor free next time? We tried pulling it in all directions and even tried to dive down to it (that was a scary experience, reminded me of the movie "What Lies Beneath") Aside from that little incident and me not putting enough fuel in the tanks it was a pretty good weekend.

G

trip line

Try attaching a light line (trip line) to the end of the anchor opposite to where the rode is attached. This will allow you to pull the anchor out backwards if it becomes fouled on something on the bottom. One drawback is that the trip line itself can become tangled. It is usually possible to free an anchor by positioning the boat directly above the anchor and the using the boat's bouyancy to help lift. With a light boat like the Mac 26, move the crew to the bow, take up all the slack on the anchor line, then move the crew to the stern. This will put lots of pull on the line (more than you can do with just your arms). Repeat as necessary. Something should give.

D

dan

Sliding Rode

Hi Jamie..... I have had good luck with a danforth type anchor with sliding rode ring. This accomplishes pulling from the anchor base much like a trip line. I use a 15 lb on the 26X and just pull in to the wind opposite of my original set. We all need to carry a spare. Happy Moorage.....dan

T

Todd

bouancy method

This method can be used non-challantly to avoid the snickers from passing craft (joke). Just make sure your hardware is strong enough and the rode is under everything else.

D

Dave Hill

Freeing your anchor

Attach a trip line to the anchor crown, and tie it to some floating object before dropping the anchor. If the anchor won't come free, simply motor up to the buoy on the trip line and pull the anchor out by its crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.