anchor locker

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2012
Catalina 25 Port Charlotte,Fl
Can anyone tell me why there is no drain in my Catalina 25 anchor locker? Do I have to drill threw the hull below the locker to fix this? It fills with water when it rains.:neutral:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It's because it never rains in Southern California. It never occurred to them.

Just like why they make the cockpit drains so small and easily clogged. They have never seen a leaf fall off a tree.

The British have a saying. Buy a boat that was designed near where you plan to sail it.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It's because it never rains in Southern California. It never occurred to them.

Just like why they make the cockpit drains so small and easily clogged. They have never seen a leaf fall off a tree.

The British have a saying. Buy a boat that was designed near where you plan to sail it.
Exactly as Jackdaw says.

Be sure to protect the core material (if there is any) after you've drilled through.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You might want to ask here: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

Skippers with Beneteaus and Hunters, unless they've had C25s, are just guessing.

If yours is like mine was (1981), there was little room for an anchor. I kept the anchor up on the pulpit and just had the rode in the tiny, flat, not too deep locker. It rarely rained here, so I don't recall what you've experienced.

Good luck.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You might want to ask here: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

Skippers with Beneteaus and Hunters, unless they've had C25s, are just guessing.

If yours is like mine was (1981), there was little room for an anchor. I kept the anchor up on the pulpit and just had the rode in the tiny, flat, not too deep locker. It rarely rained here, so I don't recall what you've experienced.

Good luck.
I've owned a Catalina 25. There is plenty of room to add a drain out through the hull. But my comment was slightly tongue in cheek. But the premise is valid. Boats are often designed for local conditions.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Some boats drain the locker through the bow at the bottom of the locker. This way you don't have to run the water down the inside of the hull. My boat has a 1/4 to 3/8 inch hole running forward at the bottom of the locker and it works quite well. It must be checked from time to time so it doesn't plug with mud.
Ray

May 3, 2012
I think just a small hole out the front corner of the locker will work. That would eliminate any tube's & x-tra junk. thanks for your coments!

Buddly

Aug 9, 2012
Catalina 25 Point Place, OH
My '84 25 SR SK has a small drain hole at the very front (bottom) that comes out at the bow. It's easily plugged, in fact had my locker not filled with water and led me to investigate where I might put a drain, I never would have found it. Once I cleared it, my problems were over. I have read somewhere on these forums that this can be the source of a leak from which water ultimately pools below the v-birth. The fix for this involves inserting a tube into the existing drain and sealing around it to prevent leakage.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
As Buddly points out, on the boats where the anchor locker drains through the bow, know that the hole is drilled through two or three molded parts stacked together. Often the joint, (between the hull and the top cap right at that locker drain hole) will open up. This will allow the anchor locker to drain into the V-berth.... :D

The trick is to over-drill this drain, and then using something like LifeCaulk, or 3M 400 or even, *gasp* 3M 5200 glue in a length of tubing. After the sealant has cured, you can trim the hose to final length.

This is a common problem, and it is often overlooked. The sorce of a leak in the V-berth is usually atributed to stanchions, or sometihng else, but it is often the anchor locker.

FYI

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Incidentally, this is also where I found the vent for the head, which I only found on a rare day when I had the anchor out, the locker was empty, and I was bored enough to really look in there.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Not sure what year C 25 you have, but the later models did have a anchor locher drain, which drains through a small line to the leading edge of the bow. But be careful what you wish for, because as Phil noted, it can & will leak into the V birth after the caulking that holds it in place starts to give way & leaks. Then you get moldy V birth coushions, instead of rotted anchor lines. The alternative is to apply really good rubber sealing gaskets all around the perimeter of the anchor locker cover, & compress them down with a good outer hasp type lock.

May 3, 2012
It's a 83 Model.The sealing gaskets could work ... but ... there's a spot where the anchor line lays with the hatch closed that would still be a problem... I think...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
seadog60 said:
It's a 83 Model.The sealing gaskets could work ... but ... there's a spot where the anchor line lays with the hatch closed that would still be a problem... I think...
Yes. It is hard to keep water totally out from deck level due to the opening under the hatch for the rode

Status
Not open for further replies.