Anchor locker hatch

• Thread starter Anonymous member 131
  • Start date
A

Anonymous member 131

Bought a 1980 C30 in july. They split the anchor hatch in half athworth ships to install a windlass that is there with wireing stubbed but not connected yet, then cut a hole in locker into the cabin now water flows down into the vberth even when it just rains. Would like to get new hatch and just redue it all but they used 5200 and a clear silicone under it so dont know how the front half may come apart. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
A picture is worth a 1000 words

Not sure what you mean. So, the PO glued down the anchor hatch to the deck? Cutting it athwortships I get, but 5200 and silicone? A few pictures would clear things up. IF I get what your saying I think you could cut out the glue line, back with starboard or marine plywood, fill with some thickened ploy resin. If you want to keep the windlass, mount it on the hatch cover, but keep the hinges to get into the locker. Electrical hookup could be a waterproof plug. Mount the female side to the wall of the anchor locker and the male end to the cable off the windlass. Again, a few photos at various angles would help.

A

Anonymous member 131

I tried to put a photo in last msg but could not get it to go will try again. If this go thru you will see the windlass is on the front portion of the hatch. The wood covering the back of the front of the front portion of the hatch does not have wood all the way accross causing holes on both sides also no way to keep water from going in around/through the cut. My thoughts have been to add wood epoxying it on along with building up a lip the full length of the cut then forming a lip on the back portion of the lip but still not sure it would work and not leak.

Attachments

A

Anonymous member 131

Re: A picture is worth a 1000 words

Ill get better photos next time im up to the boat

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Mark, The anchor locker lid or hatch is not necessarily water or weather proof, rain and spray can enter and exits the drain in bottom of locker. The anchor locker itself is watertight to the cabin, you could go without a lid and not get rain into the vee berth. As you have rightly pointed out, the leak is a result of the windlass installation not being water tight.
So, it seems to me you have little choice but to remove the whole thing to find and seal the leaks created by the PO.

A

Anonymous member 131

I havent found any diagram showing the locker drain nor have I seen it anywhere on my boat, not that there is or is not one just that so far I havent found it. Can you explain where that drain is/exits the boat? Maybe if I could find that, see if its blocked or clogged I could reinstatute it and create a sort of hawse pipe? Would you have any photos or know of any that may give me aclue? Thank you for the info.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Usually starboard side on Catalinas, the photo is another boat, the exit is visible towards bow. Inside the locker at bottom should by a drain hole connected by plastic pipe with an elbow.

Attachments

A

Anonymous member 131

The PO cut and tore everything out including the airvent for the water tanks as he must have believed it was part of the locker drain :# I think im going to make up a new locker bottom with epoxy and resins and just find and mold in the drain. Now that I know it makes perfect sense what I need to do. Great info thank you very much. Anyone that may have done a custom locker out there with any words of wisdom to do and NOT do? Wish me luck finding the drain and its not cut off flush with the hull!

A

Anonymous member 131

Usually starboard side on Catalinas, the photo is another boat, the exit is visible towards bow. Inside the locker at bottom should by a drain hole connected by plastic pipe with an elbow.
Thanks Ted, however, photos of all Cat 30's I have found nor my boat or the other two cat's in my area have a drain visable like the photo you posted. It can not be a bilge drain like a hunter:evil: either there is simply no room and bilge is cut off to bow by the water tank. So now I'm really confused. I believe the drain your showing is a great idea and I may look into how I could do that but it still does not answer how it is done on all the other cat 30's. Is there aNy cat 30 owner(s) that could take the time to send me photos of their anchor lockers and drains out there?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Here is a pic from my C-30 bow during my last haul out. It shows a small drain hole located right at the center of the bow about 1 foot down from the hull to deck joint. This is where all C 30 anchor lockers drain from. You will likely see a small tell tale rust mark there from the anchor chain, unless your P.O. covered it up with 5200 or something stupid like that. If the hole is blocked, you need to drill it back open again, as you will likely find a dimple where it was covered up, depending in the year of your boat. Mine is a 1980 model, so they have been placing the drain right on the bow on C-30's for a long time.

Attachments

A

Anonymous member 131

Thank youm. I ll look tomorrow as we plan to sail the next two days with 70 ish weather and 10 mph winds forcasted should make for a great sail. I ll deffinetly get it opened and used im tired of water soaking my v berth :#