anchor light

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve

i recently purchased an anchor light with 15' of cord. That will only hang about 1/2 up my mast. may i mount it on a pole and place it towards the stern? how high does an anchor light have to be?

B

Bruce

I'm not an expert, but encountered something similar when I owned a Mac 22. I didn't want to break any regulations, so I did a little bit of research. From what I have read, height is not that important or a regulation. The same rules for anchor lights apply to motor and sail boats. The anchor light must be visible for 360 degrees. Typically, the anchor light is mounted on top of the mast because there are no obstructions. For my boat, I used a portable battery operated anchor light on a 3 foot pole mounted to the stern rail. I bought it as a kit (pole, bracket, and light) at Walmart. That was a quick cheap solution which allowed me to get out there and spend the night out on the lake. The only thing about it was I had to put it up when I needed it and take it down in the morning. Since that is a bit different than what you have to work with, I recommend splicing additional wire to what you have and mount it on top of the mast.

M

MArk

Anchorage Enlightening

Steve, Bruce is right. Regarding being at anchor - USCG Rule 30(b) states: "A vessel of less than 50 meters may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this rule." But if your boat is less than 7 meters, Rule 30(e) permits no lights under certain conditions: "A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel,fairway,anchorage,or where other vessels normally navigate,shall not be required to exhibit the lights and shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule." Rule 21(e) definition: "'All-round' light means a light showing an unbroken light over an arc of horizon of 360 degrees." Rule 22(b) and (c) require the all-round light be visible from 2 miles. There is no height restriction as long as the light meets the 2 mile visibility requirement. USCG rules can be found on the related link. For a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved online safety course, go here: http://www.boat-ed.com/ Happy sails, MArk

Status
Not open for further replies.