Anchor Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Winjum

I purchased an older C22 this summer. I am planning to get the lights working over the winter. I am wondering what others use for an anchor light. My boat has a steamer light on the mast, but I am wondering about the "all-around light" for anchoring. If I mount such a light on the top of the mast it conflicts with the windex. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions, Jim.

T

Trevor

try a kerosene or oil lamp

I don't think it's the best idea to use a masthead light for an anchor light. People approaching a boat at night have a tendency to not look up and can easily miss the light (more so for larger vessels with higher masts). I personally like the traditional oil/kerosene lamps which can be hung from the end of the boom or from the forestay at a more reasonable height. I've also seen low wattage lights that can be plugged into a socket and mounted in the cockpit at night. Just my 2 cents. Trevor

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Oil lamp

This is what I found on the USCG site: "All vessels at anchor must display anchor lights. If your vessel is less than 164 feet/50 meters in length, then its anchor light is an all-around white light visible where it can best be seen from all directions. EXCEPTIONS: If your vessel is less than 23 feet/7 meters in length, then it is not required to display an anchor light or shape unless it is anchored in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate." In this case, I would go with Trevor's recommendation of a "hurricane" oil lamp. Weems & Plath makes a beautiful "wind proof" lamp that will burn 3 nights in a row without refilling. We use this about 90% of the time - no problems so far! LaDonna

J

Jim Winjum

Thanks so much

Thanks, Trevor and LaDonna, for your comments. They are very helpful and simplify the matter greatly. I am always impressed by the quick, helpful responses in this forum. Good sailing, Jim.

T

Tom Senator

Take a Look at the Low Power

Davis Instruments Mast head light which draws very little current (less than .05 or .2 amps) with 2 wattage settings.... This can be an alternative to flame (oil lamp).

J

Jon W

Davis light the way to go

I use the plug in model of the Davis light. I installed a 12V socket near the transom, and hang the light from the boom. The power draw is almost nothing. The light is dimmer than the 1 amp navigational style lamps, but in a dark anchorage it seems to be visible enough.

J

Jon W

Forgot to mention...

It also turns itself on and off at sunset and sunrise. Good for unattended or multi day use.

A

Aldo

More to think about

Jim: I don't exactly agree with some of the responses that you have received so far. When I first got my boat someone recommended a kerosene light to me too. I didn't want another fuel on the boat. I eventually put an Aqua Signal, Series 25, "all-round, pedestal" light on top of the mast. This light does use 10 watts, (.8 Amps), which isn't nothing. Tom's response mentioned a light that uses much less, but it may not be as bright. I bent a channel out of stainless steel and mounted it on top of the mast. The channel is held in place by the pins that hold the pulleys for the halyards. I do sleep much better with a bright white light at the top of the mast. I still always try to anchor in a protected area. I turn the light on at the switch panel. I also have an LED and a remote switch mounted into the cabin light near where I sleep in the V berth. As soon as the sun comes up, I turn off the mast head light. Over this winter I plan on building a sensor to turn the masthead light on and off automatically. I now charge my battery with a solar panel, so I my batteries are always fully charged when we leave for a cruise, but this is another story. Anyway, there are plenty of things to mess with on the boat and to be able to just flip a switch to turn on or off the anchor light seems wonderful to me. Let me mention one other related item. When I ran the wires up the inside of the mast, I cut spacers made from milk jugs that were in the shape of an "X" with a hole in the middle for the wires. I put these about every 2 or 3 feet along the wire and held them in place with wire ties. (The VHF antenna wire ran beside the wire for the mast light). This way I don't have to listen to the wires slapping the inside of the mast all night. If you do this, there is a spacer on the inside of the mast around the bolt that connects the spreader brackets. Mine was very corroded in because the spacer was made from aluminum and the bolt that went thru it was stainless steel (galvanic corosion). I eventually got the spacer out (with plenty of pounding) and replaced it with one that I machined from plastic, as I put the wires in. I'm just pointing out something for you to keep in mind as you plan your winter projects. Before I put the light on top of the mast, I just connected a small 12 volt light bulb with wires soldered onto it onto the backstay above the sail with a clothespin. I still carry this as an emergency anchor light. The power comes from the boat's battery. I hope this gives you some other ideas. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.