Anchor For Hunter 39

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck

Sep 13, 2011
HUNTER 39C BC
The standard 22 lb DELTA anchor which comes with the boat seems inadequate for a displacement of 18,000 lbs. Rule of thumb is one lb per foot. I would like to put on a Delta 35 - will it fit and will the windlass be adequate as well?

Thanks

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I do not think that this "rule of thumb" is really worth a hoot. If you take a look at anchor tests there is a lot of difference between types of anchor and the weight for a particular sized boat.

I may have to agree that your 22# Delta is on the small size because their tables put your boat on the high end of your sized boat.

The other thing as you may want to consider one of the other anchor type like the Manson Supreme in lew of a Delta.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have a 2008 38 which is basically the boat that became the 39. It too came with a 22 # Delta. I replaced it with a 35 and a 30 foot chain on the rode. Fits fine, windlass works just fine too.

I had actually planned to keep the 22 as a secondary anchor. Now that didn't work. The 22 and 35 will not fit in the bow rollers together. Was probably too much weight up front anyway and really should have a different type of anchor rather than two of the same kind. Nice thought anyway.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have a 44# delta as the primary and 35" delta for the secondary anchor. Both fit fine on my 410 bow roller.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Chain

I changed from a 22 to 35 delta and 50' chain but now have 100' chain and wow when it gets nasty and windy and the boat is swinging all over the boat is so good and no dragging.
What ever anchor you decide I would add more chain and the more chain will improve the holding on any anchor for sure.
Go to WM and see what anchor fits best on the roller and they will exchange it for another one I am sure,I keep the 22 as backup but only have needed the 35 delta on the bow here in Florida.
Nick

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 445 Yorktown
Don't want to get into "what anchor is best" arguement. But, I agree a 22# any anchor is a little inadequate for a 39 foot boat. Like others have stated, find the anchor design that works best in your area - ask around the marina, etc. Add at least 39 ft of chain (another rule of thumb - chain the length of your boat) and you should be Ok for the majority of your needs. The biggest issue you might face are the exceptions to the rule. Those times when you have to anchor in less than desirable weather, in poor holding areas with limits on swing and close to other boats. Then, you'll wish you'd planned for those exceptions. It's a matter of your risk tolerance and how much sleep you're welling to concede. Good luck.
IMHO: Go with at least a 35# anchor (for your location) and 50 ft of chain. 200 ft of total rode is not excessive either.

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter H260 Shoal Lake
I wanted a new anchor for our recently acquired 45CC. Decided on a Manson after reading reviews and help from posters on this site. In the Manson literature for a 45-55 foot they recommended a 60 pounder. We were in the Hudson during Irene. We had 100 feet of chain and 50 of rode out and we held fast. My recommendation is look at the Manson chart and go with the size at the top end of the scale for your boat. Peace of mind.

Mar 29, 2005
Hunter 41 Aft Cockpit Herring Bay, MD
Give serious consideration to a Rocna anchor. I switched from the standard delta on my 41 AC Hunter and added 90 feet of chain. The difference is amazing, and others I know have said the same. You can simulate the effect of a heavier anchor on your windlass by adding some weights to your existing anchor. Include a little extra to simulate any mud that might stick to the anchor.

Sep 28, 2006
Hunter 45CC Long Beach, Calif.
I wanted a new anchor for our recently acquired 45CC. Decided on a Manson after reading reviews and help from posters on this site. In the Manson literature for a 45-55 foot they recommended a 60 pounder. We were in the Hudson during Irene. We had 100 feet of chain and 50 of rode out and we held fast. My recommendation is look at the Manson chart and go with the size at the top end of the scale for your boat. Peace of mind.
PERCHER,
I also have a 2006 Hunter 45 CC, and want to upgrade to a Mason 60 pounder also, with all chain. You metioned chain and rode, are you planning on going to all chain?, and if so do you think the windless that Hunter put on the early 45 CC's will be stout enough? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter H260 Shoal Lake
Yes I plan to switch out and replace with 200 feet of chain. I want to keep the old anchor and chain in the stern starboard locker for those times you need a second anchor. The Manson is great. So far the windlass is doing well. When retrieving the anchor we motor forward rather than use the windless to pull such a heavy boat. Then all it has to do is lift the chain and then the anchor. The only area where we have to be careful is the chain does not always drop into the locker and if not careful will jam the windless. Just have to make sure the chain plays out into the well.

Status
Not open for further replies.