Anchor Chain tearing up gelcoat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Has anyone figured out what to do about the anchor chain banging around messing up the gelcoat? This winter I'm going to fashion some stainless steel protection, but I thought I would ask first. Jim S/V Java

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Stainless Steel guard?

Jim: This is not an unusual problem. Have you considered having a S.S. plate made to cover the area. You can then just use some screw and caulking to keep in in place.

M

Mark

Hello Jim

Jim what I did was to adhere some teak with sica wherever chain comes into contact with gel coat. Don't like the idea of screw for they can get snagged and also sdhouold you change you ming there holes to fill. I glued with sica pieces of teak on the inside of the chain locker and also along the channel that runs out to the roller. But of course that was on the 260!

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Remember the Tape Option?

This looks like a tough area to fit in a SS guard. But seeing that it is in the anchor well and not in plain view, you may want to use some sort of protective tape that can be replaced, when necessary, to cover and seal the chipped areas and to proteect them from the chain.

A

Andy

Rubber of PVC piece

Can you squeeze in a piece of flexible hose? Or better yet, got to Lowe's or Home Depot and look through the vinyl fence dept. There may be a piece that would fit in the slot as a "sacrificial piece". I know they make a hollow stud that is just almost the size of a 2 x 4.

M

Mark Juetten

Count your blessings

I'm sure your problem is frustrating but solvable. I'd give anything to have a windless situation that would allow the rode to fall correctly int the anchor locker uner the v-berth. My problem is inherant in he 376 design and they evidently tried to correct it on your model. I have tried numerous fixes to no avail, endless frustration when using the windless and have just accepted there is no fix fo the 376 without major stuctural changes. Not to demean your problem but I'd trade with you. Good luck

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Mark, folks here might have a solution.

Take some pictures and ask for help. I don't recall your problem. Disregard if you have asked.

M

Mark Juetten

Begged ,Pleaded

I've begged, pleaded cursed, thrown money at it, bought new rode adnausem to no avail. The problem is there is not enough space for the rode to free fall into he rope locker, due to the bulkhead in the v berth being so far , thus the rode builds up and jams the windless. I know one person who solved the problem by puting a hawspipe down through his v berth. Thanks Fred for your inerest in helping. Hope Jim finds a solution for his gelcoat nemisis.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Mark, get the same problem of building up

I just keep stepping on it to push it down until it builds up again. Wife is on the wheel so that is one problem solved. I plan to put some steel up front to protect the conners and maybe a large piece where the chain lands. Who knows got lots of time during the winter to try out things. Jim S/V Java

M

Mark Juetten

Down below

To push our rode down either my wife from the wheel or I from the foredeck must run below, slide into he V-berth , lift the cushions and push the rode down , than back on deck, several inopportune times. Makes for an interesting fire drill in stong winds. I'm sure other vessels in the anchorage find it entertaining. Kinda' like watching Capn. Kangeroo at breakfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.