Anchor chain slipping

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
The chain slips off the windlass almost immediately when I press the down button and it starts going down on my 40.5. This happens every time and I have to manually stop the chain. I have no problem bringing it back up tho, that part works just fine.
Any ideas?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
have you got the owner's manual for that windless it may have a troubleshooting guide in it for that problem

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The windlass depends on having enough chain on the feed side to hold it in place. Is your chain coming from a chain locker and is that deep enough? I don't have the down feature on my 40.5 so they changed the configuration (mine is a 1993). My chain locker would be deep enough but yours may not be.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The chain slips off the windlass almost immediately when I press the down button and it starts going down on my 40.5. This happens every time and I have to manually stop the chain. I have no problem bringing it back up tho, that part works just fine.
Any ideas?
Recently installed a windlass and learned how important matching gypsy and chain size can be. Also learned that manufacturer's specs may not apply world wide, you just take your chances until you've been through it once.

To solve this, we need is to know:

- the windlass make and model
- gypsy size
- your chain size and grade
- condition of the chain and gypsy

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Same boat

Exact same problem when I first bought it

Mine was a worn gypsy that I had to replace