Anchor Chain Piling up in Anchor Locker

Jan 29, 2010
Hunter 38 Ocean Gate, NJ
The anchor chain on my Hunter 38 slides into the anchor locker at about 45 degrees for 8 inches or so, then drops down. The problem is that the chain piles up and after about 5 feet of incoming chain, the pile has reached the windlass and can cause it to jam. I have to keep knocking the pile down with a board I keep in the well for that purpose to avoid the jam. Has anyone else had this problem? Any tried and true solutions?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
i encountered this on a charter boat a few years ago. I think its pretty common and it’s a design issue. Either keep knocking it down, or buy stainless chain (not recommended). Maybe some way to add a hawspipe that leads the chain to a deeper part of the locker?

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Same problem. I just keep a boat hook near the bow and use it to knock the chain away from the windlass.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
... or buy stainless chain (not recommended).
SS chain is smooth so there is much less “friction” than with other chains to allow the SS chain to pile up, i.e., “volcano.” SS chain slip-slides as it starts to pile up much so does not make high chain “volcanos.“

People seem to avoid it for two reasons. First, it’s expensive. If you are not going to have the chain down for extended periods where corrosion might become a concern, as in long-term cruising, for example, you don’t really need it. The second, less cogent, stated reason is that it is weaker than, say, BBB chain of the same size. That’s true according to tests, but the part that is left out is that it’s plenty strong to hold the yacht in place until the anchor pulls put. That is where your anchoring failure will most likely occur, assuming all tackle components are sized appropriately to each other. It should receive regular inspection, however. Another everyday benefit to SS chain is that it slides easily through the windlass veering out. Does not kink going out or coming in. You can open the windlass clutch to gravity drop the chain very fast, free fall actually, with no concern of kinking or fouling. Since I have 160 ft of 5/16” SS chain now for 16 yr of use, I know I‘d never wish to return to regular chain unless something yet occurs to convince me otherwise.;)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 29, 2010
Hunter 38 Ocean Gate, NJ
Thanks to all of you. Obviously, this is a common problem which most just deal with. I'm thinking of building an extension of the first section (the 45 degree slope area) that would drop the chain into a deeper spot and allow a pile to build up and hopefully to fall over to allow for more piling. However, from what someone said, it may just "volcano" up in the middle and not really solve the problem. I think I'll run some tests to see how it behaves. If I have any success I will get back to this thread. Have a great week everyone!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
SS chain is smooth so there is much less “friction” than with other chains to allow the SS chain to pile up, i.e., “volcano.” SS chain slip-slides as it starts to pile up much so does not make high chain “volcanos.“

People seem to avoid it for two reasons. First, it’s expensive. If you are not going to have the chain down for extended periods where corrosion might become a concern, as in long-term cruising, for example, you don’t really need it. The second, less cogent, stated reason is that it is weaker than, say, BBB chain of the same size. That’s true according to tests, but the part that is left out is that it’s plenty strong to hold the yacht in place until the anchor pulls put. That is where your anchoring failure will most likely occur, assuming all tackle components are sized appropriately to each other. It should receive regular inspection, however. Another everyday benefit to SS chain is that it slides easily through the windlass veering out. Does not kink going out or coming in. You can open the windlass clutch to gravity drop the chain very fast, free fall actually, with no concern of kinking or fouling. Since I have 160 ft of 5/16” SS chain now for 16 yr of use, I know I‘d never wish to return to regular chain unless something yet occurs to convince me otherwise.;)
Considering you’ve been using stainless chain 16 years and like it, that’s good. However, stainless is also prone to sudden fracture-failure from crevice corrosion or defect. Galvanized chain has no such issue.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have same problem on my 2007 H-36 and added remote and I kneel with left hand lifting chain deeper into locker and with chain going into no chance hurt hand.
Been doing this way 10 years .