Anchor chain overhaul-product review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2010
Hunter 34 San Mateo
I recently took the task of overhauling my very rusty 30 year old anchor chain, in lieu of spending $350 for a new one. Although a number of links were quite rusty, I clipped off a few at the end and found the rust was all superficial and the metal beneath was quite robust. So if you started with a quality anchor, the rust is likely superficial and just cosmetic. Here is what I did (everything was available at Home Depot at normal non-Marine prices):

1. CLR - let it soak in this for about a day or so and then take a wire brush to it.
2. Bar Keepers Friend - didn't do much after the CLR, a waste of time.
2. Naval Jelly - applied this with a paint brush and then hosed off. Left a nice bleach-like finish, although a little chalky.
3. Rustoleum - there is a silver color which you paint on, using a paint brush, and it looks quite nice. The finish is intended to hide blemishes in texture.

I think the Naval Jelly and Rustoleum were the most impressive and worthwhile products.

Time: about 10 hours for 50' of chain.

--Dan

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Thanks fot the tip- I will try it. I am at Coyote point Marint - I am guessing that You are too.

Status
Not open for further replies.