Anchor chain and line

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Wienecke

I just purchased a 92 37.5 I was wondering what is the best type of anchor and how much chain/line do most of you use. Any suggestion on line type etc. would help

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Typically you need chain the length of your boat and a couple hundred feet of braided 5/8" nylon.

G

Gary Wyngarden

Depends

Hi Joe, Congratulations on your new 37.5. I also have a 1992 37.5 and she's a great boat. We have a 45 pound CQR on ours which is probably overkill. To add insult to the overkill we use a 30 pound kellet. I sleep well when we're at anchor. We have 40 feet of chain and 300 feet of rope on our rode. We normally anchor in mud with a tidal range of 12 feet and we're heading for Alaska which is in part why the overkill, as Alaska has big winds and tidal ranges and deep anchorages. So does British Columbia for that matter. Your needs will be dependent on what kind of bottom you'll usually be anchoring in and what kind of cruising you plan to do. Specifics? Gary Wyngarden S/V Wanderlust H37.5

L

Les Blackwell

What do you mean, probably?

Gary, do you really use a 45 lb CQR? I'm impressed and I'm sure you do sleep at night with that much anchor. I'm using a 33 lb Bruce on my Hunter 380 and a hundred feet of chain. Trust me but I sleep well too. My advice is for Joe to ask around his harbor or ask the local marine store what people are using. I've never anchoedr in his part of the world so they might use something different. But a 45 lb. CQR and a kellet. The next time my little yacht club has a raft up, would you agree to come and be our honor guest? Just anchor and we'll raft up to you. I hope we see you in Friday Harbor some day. Les

B

Bill O'Donovan

Chain the length of your boat?

Geez, all you're trying to do is lay down the anchor so it will bite. 3-4 feet should be plenty. I buy the dayglow rubberized chain from Home Depot because it doesn't rust and won't bang up the boat.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Length of chain dramatically increases holding....

power. I concur with a length equal to the length of your boat as a minimum. The weight of the chain holds the rode more horizontal and enables the anchor to perform best with a more horizontal pull. I have seen many boats pull their anchors and frequently they have only 4-6 feet of chain. Of course proper anchoring technique is important as well as using the best anchor type for the bottom. But all other things being equal, having enough chain is VERY important. On my last 30' boat I had 40' of chain and a 35# CQR and enough rode for a 7:1 scope. On my present 40' boat I have a 45# CQR with 160' of all chain rode. Overkill? Maybe. That's OK. I am a belt and suspenders type of guy.

A

Alex

It all depends

The Anchor type should be dictated by the type of jolding ground that you are anchoring in. There a re several threads in the archive that discuss the best anchor for each tyoe of surface. I am not certain of the anchor locker configurration on your 37.5 but I believe that it is similar to our 1992 35.5. If so there is a molded space for a Danforth within the aanchor locker forward. On Nepenthe we keep a Danforth in that locker but we have a 33 LBS Bruce hanging on the anchor roller as our primary. The locker is large enough to stow the extra Danforth (with no line/rode attached) as well as the 50ft of 3/8th inch HT and 300 ft of 5/8 line. We also keep 400 ft of line and 40 feet of chain in the stern swim locker with a Danforth and CQR as stern rig options. We also keep additional chain and shackles below in the event that we need to modify either of the primaries or secondaries. This is the year that we add a windlass. West coast anchoring is usually deeper than lake or east cost coastal anchoring so we try to be prepared. Good luck.

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
I have the same boat

and use a 33 pound Bruce and 50 feet of chain with 200 ft of rode. I carry a twenty something pound steel danforth for backup and a fortress for emergencies if the others get lost or something. This setup has worked everywhere we have gone in this area and Desolation Sound. We have had to stern tie there as do most people. One thing I have done on occasion is to put a snatch block on the bow eye and run the anchor rode through it. That is to improve the angle to the anchor and thus the holding power.

J

Joe Wienecke

Thanks

Thanks all I think I will go with a #35 CQR or 33 lb. Bruce with 70 feet of chain and 300 feet of 5/8th nylon. I will put 40 feet of chain and 200 feet of 5/8th nylon on the Danforth it must be over 25 lbs. This should give me a primary anchor and a good back up. Two last questions: 1. Will all this fit in the anchor locker? 2. Is chain from HomeDepot just as good as chain from the marina store and what size chain do you suggest. Here is a picture of my new baby just for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.