Anchor Arrangement Stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melody Miller

Hello All: Nothing like an overnite trip to highlight the features on a boat that are less than satisfactory. As a single-hander, I am disatisfied with the whole arrangement of the anchor on my 27 ft. Catalina. The anchor simply slips into a holder mounted to the bow rail. There is no way to ensure that the chain does not bang the deck when I take the anchor off the mount and lower it. If there was some kind of guide for the chain, that would route the chain directly over the boat, that would help. When I raise the anchor to reset or store, all that chain and nasty line makes a mess of the deck, primarily because of no mechanism to guide and contain the line as I am attempting to stuff it down the opening (don't know that name for that opening.) Last weekend, when I had to reset my anchor after letting out about 150 of line, I was really unhappy with Catalina's minimal features, -no anchor platform to accomodate rollers and guide the line and chain. As a result, about 150 feet of line was all over the bow area, and messed it up big time. Not only was it messy, but just worrysome because the line at one point begin slipping off the opposite side of the bow risking prop damage. I was hoping there was someway to put a plastic covering over the chain to avoid scratches to the gelcoat ( bicycle chains generally have a flexible plastic covering.) Also, I would like to fashion some kind of guide for the chain, or find a way to avoid mounting the anchor on the bow rail altogether where I have to bend over to lift it off the mount. Any ideas? Thanks Melody

R

Roger Noble

You can get a bow roller

The opening down to your chain locker is called a "hawse pipe" or "chain pipe." Our 78 C-27 had no anchor locker or hawse pipe, and yeah, it was awful. We stowed the rode in the lazarette and hooked our Danforth to the pulpit the same way you're doing... Check out the bow rollers available from Catalina Direct to hold the anchor and control the rode when it's out. http://www.catalinadirect.com/

G

Gary Jensen

anchor handeling

I had an O day 27 that had a mount like yours. To remedy the situation you can do two things. You can put a bow roller that will hold your anchor in place (on deck) and reduce the amount of anchor rope you use.Instead or having 150 feet of line attached to your anchor carry 25 feet of chain and 50 feet of anchor rope. This will reduce the amount of spagetti line that you will have on deck. You don't have an "anchor locker" to store this and you will have to store it below each time. The bow roller has a guide for the chain (larger boats have a "howser" that the chain passes through). What you might want to try is to take a small plastic crate on deck with you when retriving your anchor to coil the rope and chain in, when retriving the anchor then storing it altogether. Having the size boat you have means trade offs. I know when I moved up to my 36 Catalina and got an anchor locker, I was really happy. Another consideration is your anchor. Oversize it to increase your holding ability and thereby reducing the scope that is normally required on your 27. Hope this helps! good luck, Gary

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Melody, I hear your pain!

I'm in the same spot. Luckily (?), I don't anchor my boat too much. When I have, the chain castled in the chain locker requiring one of us to be below to knock it down & the other topsides guiding it in! UGH! I also hate having my Danforth hanging from the bow pulpit. I have visions of shredded spinnaker material hanging from it. Well, I'm making a commitment to work on a solution for this problem sometime this summer. (Hey, I can't NOT have a project on my boat!) I let you know what I find. LaDonna

M

Melody Miller

Thanks Everyone

Everyone: Thanks for the advice. I called Catalina Direct and their technical person is away on vacation. However, the web page had a picture of the anchor roller product I think I need. I will pursue this. Thanks Again Melody

R

Roger Noble

Hang the danforth upside down

On our C-30 the PO hung the danforth upside down on the edge of the pulpit, using the same sort of hanger La Donna is using now, and lashed the stock to the top of the pulpit. I left it there - at least it won't foul the sails. We did foul the spinnaker on our 27 with the anchor hung flukes up, and ripped the hem off the foot :-(

S

s/v Sjora

Another Idea

Hmmm I had a c-27 some years ago if I remember correctly it had an anchor locker. Here's another idea for handling & storing your anchor and rode. Get an inexpensive nylon duffel or gear bag (a hockey equipment bag works well) and flake the rode into it tail first put the anchor on to and zip it up and store it in the cockpit locker or below. When you need to anchor grab the bag and haul it up on deck. It's all ready to use. If you want to get cute a small hole in one ent will allow the tail to hang out so it can be secured to a spare cleat preventing the loss of the bag if the rode runs out. B good bow roller is a good investment. Check in with Garhauer Marine in California they make them for Catalina. I believe theirr web site is www.garhauer.com. Don't forget to use a backing plate and strong bolts when mounting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.