Analog to Digital TV Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2010
Hunter 38 Virginia Beach, VA
Anyone converted their TV reception from analog to digital following the FCC change over? If so, what did you need and how difficult was the process.
Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I did it was easy. I placed the conversion box over on the shelf by the TV and ran the cables in a wire channel along the ceiling. Having digital has turn out great I get more channels and with every station having a weather station sub channel with radar it has been like having long range radar on my boat.

kebr

Jun 26, 2009
Hunter 40.5 New Buffalo, MI
Not exactly the step that you are asking about, but this past weekend I converted an old antenna (I think ham radio or could have been loran) to over the air tv.

You could put one of the analog to digital converter boxes (the ones that the FCC were offering the discount on) in between the antenna and the tv. I think any would work, but maybe others have some direct experience.

My old antenna had a RG-8U cable and I bought a couple of connectors from Radio Shack and was able to convert it to a coax cable. I then plugged a standard coaxial cable into it and ran it to the TV.

I am able to pick up about 20 stations from Chicago which is about 40 to 45 miles straight across the lake.

I know that several people around me have these round flat discs on top of their mast for tv reception.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
Same as in a home. Get a digital conversion box and connect as per instructions. They are 120V so you will need shorepower, an inverter or a generator. Don't know if the government program is still providing vouchers but the conversion boxes can be found at Radio Shack or Walmarts for around $50.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Arctec makes 12vdc converter boxes that work well, about $45 with remote and they're tiny-look in the archives or google. We put one in and it works well-with just rabbit ears we get about 6 stations in Portland (Me).

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Jeff...

I picked up a converter box from Radio Shack on a recommendation. It sits between your TV and the antenna connection coming in to it. It becomes your tuner. Mine works best with my Boat-Tenna raised 3/4 the way up the mast on the halyard. I can pull in Baltimore stations at the "Top of the Bay" as well as the old analog ones, but get better reception at night than during the day (just like analog!).

Nov 17, 2008
Hunter 38 St. Petersburg
Jeff, I don't know if you're still working on this, but...

I purchased an small (19" diagonal), inexpensive LCD HD television and swivel wall mount. I mounted it on the bulkhead above the Bose 321, and connected the Bose to the TV with a short HDMI cable (to watch DVDs), and connected the coax from the A/B switch to the TV.

If you have the Bose, you'll find it's powered through the entertainment inverter, located under the port settee. Mine has two ac outlets, so I connected a television extension cord to it and ran it thru the bottom of the port V-berth wardrobe and up, then back thru the bulkhead to the TV.

All of the newer HD televisions include digital tuners, and the smaller LCD versions use very little juice, not to mention they weigh very little compared to their older CRT counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.