America's Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2013
catalina 42 sister bay, wi
Any Catalina owner-
I am looking for a boat owner in the San Fran. Bay area who would like to take 2-4 people out on the bay for a day of America's Cup race viewing. Will be in the area Sept.6-11. Would be willing to pay $ or consider trade-out. I have a Cat. 42 in Door County, Wi. that I would be happy to offer a similar outing. Liberty42.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I am sure that this may be the first of many such requests.

I sail regularly here during the week, and see Oracle and Artemis out practicing many times. I got closely buzzed by Oracle about three times.

Let me make this suggestion:

Take a look at the race course, then at a chart of the Central Bay, and the "preferred" zone for folks to watch from the water, and then "the rest of us."

While I might be considered to be "spoiled" by seeing these guys up close & personal already, and having been on a stake boat for the AC45 practice races, my conclusion is this:

You'll see a LOT more and understand what is really happening during any given race BY WATCHING IT ON TV OR YOUR COMPUTER.

Really.

Most of the Central Bay will essentially be CLOSED to boating. You just don't want to be there. It'll be like driving on New Year's eve.

I'd be glad to take you out for a boat ride any other time. :):):)

Attachments

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
We were up there in October, along with an added million others...what a madhouse. We went to see the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival ( absolutely fantastic!!!) and it turned out there were AC racing the same weekend, as well as an airshow and a ball game!!! We did find ourselves a spot on the Sausalito side and it was fun to see the boats coming out from behind (Angels Island maybe??) but it was too far to really see much of the race. The air show went on at the same time basically as the AC racing so it was quite entertaining.

I agree with Stu that likely we will find a spot on land that we can see a screen (if they put some up) because the best things to watch will be both the big, broad picture and the detail on board. It will surely be exciting but I'm sure we'll be on land somewhere. Agree, most important to know where things are going to happen before hand, and then make an early plan to get where you think is the hot spot... and get there early. In SD a couple years ago Oracle was out quite a bit and that was fun to see them close up and from a distance....... SO HUGE. Really enjoyed watching the repairs going on in the 'garages' so wherever that will be would be a great spot to have access to.. Its all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.