Amalfi Coast Sail

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Selling the house, moving aboard a sailboat and traveling the world, making youTube videos sounds nice but....With 3 kids & a full time construction job, the best I can do is hire a babysitter, rent a sailboat in Italy, and show the wife a good time. I rented a Bene 34.1 with Spartivento in Salerno.

I'm lucky my wife enjoys sailing & racing our classic Cal 33. So 5 star comfort wasn't a factor, although sleeping on the boat was very comfortable for the two of us. What are your thoughts about my video? Should I narrate? Is the video too long?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
critique: Not too long, really about the right length. It jumps around a bit too much. I'd like a bit better images of some of the things you saw. A little narration might be good, like this is where we are, this is such and such place - that kind of thing...

all in all, not bad, I enjoyed it....

dj

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Yes, I thought the same thing, it was alot to take in for me, Salerno, Ravello, Amalfi, Positano, Capri, and Sorrento. Each place with it's own charm, Amalfi with the beautiful harbor and grotto swim, the Lemon sorbet served inside a lemon. Capri with it's blue grotto, twin pillars of rock, and a stunning lighthouse, view of the gulf, and marina picola beach. Maybe I'll edit and put more into it. Or maybe just write the words on the screen. A friend told me to put in a swimsuit shot, I did, he said he didn't mean myself?! I guess the wife in a swimsuit is better.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Further to @dLj 's comments, extremely interesting subject matter but would prefer to see fewer zoom in and out shots. Definitely needs higher resolution for more professional look. Might also avoid personal shots unless they are with your wife or better still, just slower pans of your wife to add a human touch.

Some of the best technical videos I've seen on this site for quality are from @Tally Ho. Shafts and bearings may not be your thing, but the video quality is tops.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
I've followed Tally Ho, I enjoy his videos because they restored that boat the absolute proper way. The woodworking was amazing. Yeah, I agree, rewatching my video, I should of shot more of the village stuff, like walking the cobblestone streets & the shops where they make you sandals by hand while you wait. Really an amazing place.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
We’ve chartered numerous times in the Caribbean but never in the EU.
I’ve read you need to have certified sailing credentials to Captain a charter boat in the EU.
What were the requirements for Italy?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I enjoy vids that are simple to understand, interesting in subject matter and exhibit good camera and sound work. Steady cam, mic wind screen, scripted narration, and most importantly.......... no talking heads. There's nothing more boring that a couple sitting next to each other at the galley table droning on and on about their life. Recording subjects talking to each other is often entertaining, but lecturing to the camera rather than laying the comments in a soundtrack over visuals is way more compelling. What I like about your effort most is that you asked for feedback. Whether the vid product is good or not so good becomes unimportant to me when its creator shows the desire to improve and learn. good luck

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Sorry Art, was offline this weekend. So you can charter in Italy & Greece with a US Coast guard charter captains license (6-pack) Some places might ask for a medical certificate. Spartivento, required that you pay for their insurance ($200) for the week (or put a $3000 deposit), in case you damage the boat. Greece was less expensive, most of the time we docked the boat for free, Italy, depending on town charges approx. $120 a night, with moorings/anchoring being less than half of that or free.

You can call and reserve the dock space ahead of time. We did this because we preferred to walk into town. We did anchor off one of the grotto's to swim, but at night returned to the dock.