Am I just slow, or what??

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Franklin

Under full power, I'm only getting 2.7 knots. Universal 5411 with 3 blade prop. Seems AWFULLY slow. Surely I should be able to go faster than that! I haven't gone under water to check for fouled prop (yet), but that's my next move. Any ideas??? Thanks!!

G

Gene Foraker

Slow Poke

That sounds very strange. At 2.7 kts. you will not even throw a wake. How fast can you sail?. How did you measure your speed? . How many rpm's does the engine turn when under full power and does it otherwise sound OK? If you throw a wake, then your kt meter is probably off. Borrow someones hand held gps for a quick check If you can sail over 5 kts. AND you really do get full rpm's on the engine, then you may have a very fouled bottom or prop.

S

Sean Phelps

Slow

Seve, I motor at 5.5 with 6.25 tops. I have a yanmar 12. Last year I could only motor my 30 at 4 knots. Guess what? About an 8 inch wad directly behind the prop. Hope this gives you an idea of where you should be. I have a 12x12 three blade prop. Boat sails at 6-7 knots easily and gps pretty much matches knotmeter. Hope this helps. Sean-Carnaby Street

J

Joe Fitzpatrick

5411 a dog

I had a 5411 and the boat would hardly get out of it's own way. Re-powered with a perkins 30 hp. diesel- now does 6.5 under power.

B

Bob Camarena

5411 Not that much of a dog

The 5411 may be underpowered, but not that much. I can easily cruise my '81 C-30 at 5.0 -5.5 knots in flat water with a 2 blade prop. Full throttle can get me 6.0+.

R

Roy Campbell

or what

Steve, I have a 5411 and the folks at Old Lyme Marine, who sell Universal, tell me it won't handle a 3 blade prop. Give them a call, they're very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.