Alternator wiring question?

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
I have an1980 Universal 5432 engine with unknown stock alternator. I pulled it off yesterday to get a closer look at the back and the wiring. It has a 10Ga orange wire which i know is the power out wire and a second wire which is purple (connected to other side of black plug in pic), which according to the wire charts would be an ignition switch to coil or an instruments wire. My start panel is very badly damaged. Many of the instruments are damaged or corroded beyond recognition and the wires cut, removed or have fallen off. It looks like my instrument start panel never had a keyed ignition, just a push button to start. The purple wire has been cut or disconnected and im not sure where it originally would have gone to on the instrument panel?

Any ideas what this wires intended purpose is?

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
This article explains the ammeter voltmeter improvement, but I'm posting it because it has a wiring diagram with the color coding:

It has a 10Ga orange wire which i know is the power out wire
That orange wire is merely a jumper and connects to the starter. Many boats came OEM with one wire from the battery switch C post. That wire performed two functions, as described here:
OEM 1-2-B Switch Wiring History Alternator/Batteries & "The Basic" 1-2-B Switch BEST Wiring Diagrams

1-2-B Considerations (New 2020 - Rod finally got around to diagramming what I had done in the above link in 2009 :) )
1/2/BOTH Switch Considerations

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Thanks Stu. I will read through all of this after work and try and figure this all out, very much appreciated. Alternator/start panel wiring is still a bit of a mystery to me. I have the infamous 'ammeter and trailer plug' connectors. I want to replace the orange wire with a bit heavier gauge and connect it directly to the start bank positive busbar. While im doing this i figure i should cut out the trailer plugs. Mine is slightly melted where the orange wire comes back through the plug as a 10 gauge red wire that goes to my starter.

Feb 26, 2004
and connect it directly to the start bank
You're welcome.

You might want to reconsider and wire to your house bank. Here's why:

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=137615

This is a newer primer for boat system wiring design with a thorough diagram: Building a Good Foundation (October 2016)
Building a DC Electrical Foundation

As far as the gummy bear trailer plugs, try this:
Critical Upgrades http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.0.html

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
You're welcome.

You might want to reconsider and wire to your house bank. Here's why:
I cant. I have a lithium house bank. Eventually when i replace my engine or alternator, i'll add an external regulator so I can send all the alternator charging to my house bank first. For now i'm stuck sending it to my lead acid start bank but i havn't read all your links yet, so im not sure if there is an easy work around.

Until then, I was considering adding a B2B charger between the house and start bank so when the engine is running, at least i can send some of the alternator output to the house bank without burning up my alternator...albeit with some voltage loss i'm guessing.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Until then, I was considering adding a B2B charger between the house and start bank so when the engine is running, at least i can send some of the alternator output to the house bank without burning up my alternator...albeit with some voltage loss i'm guessing.
A B2B is not a bad choice in that situation, though it is a compromise compared to a smart alternator and regulator. You could get a Victron Orion xs with adjustable output current and efficiency up to 98.5% if you wanted to be very efficient with it.

Feb 26, 2004
Understood. Have you read the Cruisers Forum Lithium threads? jedi is a trusted contributor.

I cant. I have a lithium house bank. Eventually when i replace my engine or alternator, i'll add an external regulator so I can send all the alternator charging to my house bank first. For now i'm stuck sending it to my lead acid start bank but i havn't read all your links yet, so im not sure if there is an easy work around.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Understood. Have you read the Cruisers Forum Lithium threads? jedi is a trusted contributor.
I've read a lot of his stuff. Not sure about that link though. I will for sure check it out tonight.

I just finished reading through the first two links you posted above. That first one with the wiring diagrams was a godsend. The large 10Ga white wire was something i had been wondering about for a while now. I was under the cockpit poking around a bit this weekend cleaning up and cutting out orphaned wires and noticed they (large white wires) were connected to a square metal box which i thought might be a relay, but wasn't sure if it was or what it was connected to on the other end. Unfortunately I couldn't get to the back of the start panel to confirm where everything was connected. Now I know and am starting to be able to wrap my head around this project.

Eventually when i get through some more pressing projects im going to replace the start panel completely so all of this is a great help.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
Im still confused about what the purple alternator excite wire does on our engines, still researching.

I will have to try and trace where it connected on my old panel. I think in very general terms i have the gist of what it does from reading some automotive articles but not sure if that applies to a small diesel engine.

Most articles describe it connected to small loads (light/s) on the instrument panel to get the alternator charging properly, but my panel has no such lights, only gauges, some push buttons and unidentified toggle switches that are corroded beyond use or recognition. There is a push/pull switch that seems to send power to the gauges though, so i wonder if its connected to this switch and if this is enough to 'excite' the alternator? The alternator does charge when the engine is running so i know it works, it just charges at very low voltage (13.5ish) but this could be due to voltage drop from long/ poor wiring circuit and those trailer park connectors.

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
charges at very low voltage (13.5ish)
That is not a "Very Low Voltage". For some alternators, it’s normal to see as low as 13 volts. For some, a constant 13.6 volts is an indication of a problem. For others, it’s normal to see as high as 16 volts for long stretches. Still, it’s perfectly normal for others to see the alternator not charge at all intermittently. What are the RPM's at the time you measure a 13.5 voltage output? How many amps were being produced? Where are you measuring these readings?

You already know that the alternator will not be giving your Lithium batteries the charge voltage they want. The question is can you keep the FLD Start battery charged enough to let it charge the Lithium batteries? Or will they suck the life out of your start battery, like a vampire.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
That is not a "Very Low Voltage". For some alternators, it’s normal to see as low as 13 volts. For some, a constant 13.6 volts is an indication of a problem. For others, it’s normal to see as high as 16 volts for long stretches. Still, it’s perfectly normal for others to see the alternator not charge at all intermittently. What are the RPM's at the time you measure a 13.5 voltage output? How many amps were being produced? Where are you measuring these readings?

You already know that the alternator will not be giving your Lithium batteries the charge voltage they want. The question is can you keep the FLD Start battery charged enough to let it charge the Lithium batteries? Or will they suck the life out of your start battery, like a vampire.
Good to know. Good question on the rpm's. My boat never had an rpm gauge. I will have to check again this weekend and try and do a better set of tests once i rewire the alternator output to the start bank pos. bus. At least this will eliminate the poor wiring variable.

I was getting that reading from my Balmar SG-200, but to be honest at the time was not doing any deep diagnosis. I was just trying to confirm the diodes were not blown and the alternator was at least charging.

I suppose if the start battery is near full it wont take much of a charge so i guess it would make sense to see low charging voltages. I can drain the battery a little with some house loads i suppose to get the alternator to put out a higher charge once i get organized.

I need to figure out where this exciter wire is connected on my panel. I have been researching it and it looks like i have some options on how i can connect it better either using a light, a zener diode or maybe even my oil pressure gauge.

Good question, I dont know that answer yet. I've never had the ability to accurately monitor the engine and house banks before. I have done a lot of re-wiring and upgrades since the last time we sailed (its been a while) so its not something i was ever aware of before or paid much attention to. Now I have a Balmar SG-200 connected to the start bank and a BMV-712 on the lithium bank so i can easily monitor both in real time. I guess next time we go sailing i will have to see what the alternator actually outputs and if there is enough overhead to be able to send some of it to the lithium bank. I dont have a B2B charger between the two battery banks yet so for now they are still 100% isolated.