Alternator upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Mariano

Last fall I purchase a 1987 Catalina tall rig. It has three batteries (group 27)and a Universal M-25XP diesel. The alternator must be replaced. are there any opinions on upgrades? What about a solar charger? Thanks Dave

L

Les Murray

Call Hamilton Ferris

Dave, I have an 86 C-36 with a M-25 and did the same project last year. Hamilton Ferris helped me design a system that works great. I put in a 120 amp alternator, smart 3-way regulator, a Link 10 monitor, 2 new Group 31 AGM batteries and an echo charger for charging the Group 27 starting battery. The prices were pretty reasonable, better than going with Balmar. Good Luck, Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560

R

Rodd C.

Read my article on upgrading the Universal alterna

Click on "related link" below to read my article. I have a C-36 and did this project last year. I would advise against anything bigger than a 100 amp alt on a M-25. If you do it the way I did you won't ned to rebuild or modify your stock alternator brackett...Good Luck! -Rodd C.

T

Tom Wingo

Way Cool Job and site

Wow Rod what a nice article. You are to be congradulated for such a wonderful job and great info....this may be my next project. Thanks Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.