Also thinking about purchasing an S2 8.0B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocono

Oct 10, 2010
Lowell Town Class Maine
Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing an S2 8.0B. I had one of the early S2 7.9M in 1981 (hull #15), we took it to Block Island Race Week that year and came out on top in our class. So, I have fond memories of my S2 years.

Things have changed and I've gone from avid racer, to cruiser, to non-sailor, to daysailor (we now have a Town Class 16 1/2" sloop), and now, I think, back to cruising; but only as daysailor (no overnights for me anymore).

What I need to know is how the S2 8.0B sails. I am not expecting it to the the uphill rocket that the 7.9M was, but I need to be sure that it's not a pig as far as performance goes. How does it go upwind, off the wind, close, beam and broad reaching? I'm concerned that the jib sheets only to the toe rail; doesn't seem to be a tight enough sheeting angle to get good windward performanc(?) I need a boat that can handle a 2-3' of chop without making you feel like youre taking a spray shower.

So, please let me know what you think about the performance of the 8.0B. If it's good, I'll probably go ahead and purchase one. As I said above, I still have very fond memories of my prior S2 days.

Thanks,

Pocono

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
Well... according to the New England PHRF folks, the 8.0B rates 222, as opposed to your 7.9, which rated between 168 and 174, depending on model.

http://www.phrfne.org/page/567

Me? I LOVE my 27...much more boat (faster) than the 8.0B, but not much longer, and still easy to singlehand.

I hope this helps!

Pocono

Oct 10, 2010
Lowell Town Class Maine
Thanks Scup. The 27 looks like a nice boat. But, what I'd really like is some info on the sailing performance of the 8.0B. That's the information that I need to make a buy/no buy decision.

Pocono

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It depends on your expectations and your definition of a pig. My 9.2A is essentially a bigger version of the 8.0B. My last boat left a lot to be desired from a performance perspective with its 3 foot stub keel. I think that the 8.0B can be best described as an average performer for a boat with a integral deep keel with better than average build quality. If you are concerned about sheeting angle that is nothing that should prevent you from buying a boat (if the price is right) as you are a drill and some new genoa tracks away from fixing that issue.

Jan 5, 2010
S2 8.0b St. Marks, Florida
pocono,
Have been sailing a 80' S2 8>0B for about a year in the Gulf of Mexico out of St. Marks, Fl. She is wonderful up and down the river with the 4' draft getting us right up to the deep banks for overnight anchoring. Turns right around on herself under power. The OMC saildrive (actually a 30 HP Johnson head de-stroked to about 15HP for torque) is neat and runs like a top with complete hull speed capability. Recently pushed just over 7 knots in 3-4 seas with a nice rolling ride. She likes to sail into med to rough seas/winds. I trailer her back and forth from just inside Ga. down to the Gulf and launching is fun. Draws a crowd. Plenty of room for a crew of 4-5. Sails easily single handed. Gets into and out of moorings easily. No complaints. I would recommend a 8.0B to anyone much less an experienced sailer.
Hope this helps,
Bill Benton

Apr 29, 2010
S2 8.0B Toledo, OH
We bought a 1980 8.0B this season & sailed her on western Lake Erie. With the original (dacron) genoa & main, we could point OK. On reaches, we saw plenty of 6+ kts on the knot log in 10-15 kts. We took her out in a couple of nicer 20+ kts days & flying the working jib (on a Harken furler) & a reefed main, had a fine time. Plenty of water over the bow, but not much in the cockpit. After our first season with the 8.0B on Lake Erie, we're pleased with how it's worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.