All rope halyard vs. Rope-to-wire Halyard...Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyhop

Aug 8, 2005
Oday 28 Guntersville AL
I needed to replace my main halyard, and opted for a Sta-Set-X all rope halyard. With the mast down, I got a good look at the sheaves for the main & jib halyard. The "groove" around the sheave looks to be narrow as if intended for a wire to sit in. 1. Am I going to significantly shorten the life of an all-rope halyard running it in this narrow groove? 2. Has anybody done this with positive or negative results? 3. If yes to #1 and/or had negative results on #2, would it be easier (read less expensive) to replace the sheaves at the top o' the mast or to replace with a rope-to-wire halyard? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 17, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Bainbridge Island - West of Seattle
Replace the sheaves, and go with rope.

Easier to handle, and no more fish hooks.

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
sheaves

if the groove is too small for the rope it will tear it up in a fairly short time. Not sure of your boat, but some are set up with the wire/rope halyard and have a 'double' groove, wider rope groove, and narrow wire groove in the bottome of it in them so they take the rope with no problem. Most often, if that's the case, the sheave is good to go. Ken.

Jul 19, 2005
- - s/v GAIA Great Lakes
Replace the sheaves.

I did that and I'm never going back. Don't use line with the narrow sheaves, you'll have nothing but trouble Tom s/v GAIA

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Be careful with Sta-set-x

I had a bad experience with Sta-set-x. I replaced a 1/2" Sta-set halyard with a 1/2" Sta-set-x and had a lot of problems lifting the main. You should also consider some other low stretch line or think about down sizing. Point in hand, not all line that is defined as a specific size, is the same as another line of the same size. On your boat, you may want to consider regular Sta-set. Slightly more stretch, but you will probably never know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.