All Chain Rode

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Have had trouble with the fall of all rope rode on 376. This is a common problem on 376's. After many attempted fixes over the yearso I am considering an all chain rode of 5/16 ht which is compatiple with my Maxwell freedom 800. Am considering 200 to 275 ft. This will give me plenty of depth at 5 t0 1 all chain ratio. Will this improve the fall of rode into anchor locker? Would appreciate your thoughts and caveats on this . Thank you.

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Was this a dumb question

Simply, how will 300 lbs of chain affect my boat and has anyone out there gone to an all chain rode?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Mark

All chain rode is common with Pacific cruisers which most here aren't. I too have the issue of getting the rode to go back into the locker correctly but have found that using a poll to push it down helps a lot. I don't anchor out so much that I'm ready to put the extra weight on my bow but when I go cruising I may at least think about trying to rig something to come from and return to the blidge. In the meantime, I prefer the stretch of the rope over chain. Chain is needed when you anchor near coral which isn't that common in the states.

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
How does it work Fred

I"m interested in holding power and the drop of the chain into the anchor lockr with a windless. Fred, what has been your experience? Ant 376 owners have succes with the chain fall?

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Mark, sorry this is late. I messed up my browser.

I'll try again. You are right to be concerned about free chain-fall. Mine works NOW, but I had to cut out the bottom of the locker and the sides. Your boat is very different than my 34 but some pictures on my web site might help. See #61-#64 and #133.

May 10, 2004
- - Bayfield WI
Maxell "not a go idea"

Tech support at Maxwell informed that the Freedom 800 is not designed for an all chain Rode but rather mostly line and a max. of 30' of chain. Claimed excessive wear would result. But they suggested a braided line slpiced to a lenth of chain rather than 3 stand line. And what do you know, they sell just such an animal. Never know quite what or who to believe believe. Looked in the manual and nowhere does it mention the all chain rode limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.