Alden Mistral TI leaves tomorrow in the Marion to Bermuda!!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Race! He's just contacted me today and is wondering if anyone knows the Mistral actual fuel tankage for the original tanks in the keel. He's said the specs say 50 gallons, but he's not finding that. Any help-asap-would be nice. Here's a photo of TI, looking like she could win!. Thanks.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Gregg and his crew sailed a fantastic race! They won!

They were like a machine out there (following online). While many boats seemed to hunt the wind, TI looked like she was on a track, the rhumb line, all the way to Bermuda. Their speeds were very high for extended periods. They were brilliant.

They easily won 1st in their class D. But I think they may come out #1 on corrected time. I'm not an expert on the scoring, but that's how it appears.

Congratulations TI!

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Re: Alden Mistral TI leaves tomorrow in the Marion to Bermud

Congrats Gregg,

I can't image how beaten-up you guys were. You have a great boat there and obviously a great helmsman or three aboard. The other two Aldens - Restive and Legacy V both were forced to retire. I was sailing aboard Legacy V. A very sad day on our boat. Just starting to recover today - Thursday. Can't wait to try again in 2017.

Scott Kraft

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas

Congrats to the skipper and crew of Ti.

Scott, I read about the tragedy on Legacy 5. That must be a really sad and difficult thing for everyone aboard to have endured.

May 19, 2008

Thanks for the post, Tom…..and everyone's congratulations. I just saw these posts as I am not active on this forum, but will be.

The crew was amazing as was 47 year old Ti….she was well prepared and endured the persistent and endless hammering very well. Squalls were certainly intense but with reefed everything she was perfect.

After some nice summer cruising along the coast of Maine in Casco Bay, she is back in Vermont for the winter. I expect to get her back in the salt next spring.

Scott: I missed that Legacy was an Alden…..so, so sorry. Where are you located?

Tom: let's be in touch?

Best,

Gregg

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010

Legacy V is a 54' Alden Yacht ketch, designed by the late Niels Helleberg and owned by Mike Wiseman out of Stonington, CT. She is moored just down the harbor from our Caravelle, Bounding Home. Legacy V responded to the nasty conditions like a Hum Vee. Although we were all wet, bumped and less than comfortable, I never once asked myself what the "H" I was doing out there.

I had dreams of doing next year's Newport - Bermuda Race on Bounding Home. It is not only the 50th Newport - Bermuda Race, it is also the 50 year anniversary of the first time Bounding Home did the race under the command of her first owner Jack Merrill, then Commodore of the CCA. After the pounding we took this year, I'd really hate to un-do 19 years of restoration and love in five days of racing. I will be on the start line, again ailing aboard Legacy V in June 2016.

BTW - I recently read that Restive, the 49' Helleberg designed, Brooklin Boatyard built boat, developed a bad leak around her rudder post on the trip home and had to be abandon. The crew was safely transferred to another north-bound yacht. A salvage tug was sent out to retrieve her.

And we say this yachting business is fun?