Alden 44 Dodger/Bimini suggestions and pics

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
All,

I have an Alden 44 (1984). The admiral is requesting a little bit of shade and protection from the weather so I'm contemplating the style of dodger/bimini to apply. I have a dodger only at this time. There are very few pictures on the net for ideas. Anyone have suggestions/pics/ideas/advice?

Appreciate your input

tim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tim... Are you considering giving up the "sometime racing"?
Dodgers and Bimini's impact your racing performance. They do a wonderful job of improving your cruising leisure experience.

They can be accomplished in a variety of ways. Your image while capturing the boat under sail did not blow up very well to give detail of your cockpit and salon deck surface. Fitting a dodger and Bimini is all about the boat structure.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
After many years of canvas dodgers that ultimately eventually leak, on our last two boats we build hardtops that attached to the original dodger frames. Plywood layers, epoxy sealed and painted to match the boat's gelcoat. An unexpected benefit of this is, when painted a light/white colour the amount of light below is greatly enhanced. We continued with the canvas/vinyl/lexan etc 'windscreen'..
.IMG_1267.JPGIMG_1268.JPGIMG_0478D.JPGIMG_0480D.JPGIMG_0484D.JPGIMG_0603.JPGIMG_0817.JPG

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
Tim... Are you considering giving up the "sometime racing"?
Dodgers and Bimini's impact your racing performance. They do a wonderful job of improving your cruising leisure experience.

They can be accomplished in a variety of ways. Your image while capturing the boat under sail did not blow up very well to give detail of your cockpit and salon deck surface. Fitting a dodger and Bimini is all about the boat structure.
Thanks for the reply. You're right, I didn't really show a good photo. The Alden 44 has a very unique transom, which is why I asking for input. Here's a much better pic.

I will continue to race casually. As I do longer races, such as Newport/Bermuda, I would take the canvas off for that trip. In casual races, it will keep my beer out of the sun!

Attachments

Sep 26, 2022
Aldenn MKII Rock Hall
After many years of canvas dodgers that ultimately eventually leak, on our last two boats we build hardtops that attached to the original dodger frames. Plywood layers, epoxy sealed and painted to match the boat's gelcoat. An unexpected benefit of this is, when painted a light/white colour the amount of light below is greatly enhanced. We continued with the canvas/vinyl/lexan etc 'windscreen'..
.View attachment 211367View attachment 211368View attachment 211369View attachment 211370View attachment 211371View attachment 211372View attachment 211373
Jon, I really like your hardtop. What thickness of plywood did you use and how many sheets/layers did it take. I do like the idea of a hard top eventually, but in the short term I'll likely do one more canvas.

thanks -

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice looking boat Tim.. There are a variety of Bimini's and connecting cloth options to give you a roof on your Cockpit. Often the designs are multi level to give you room toe stand up.

This one gives you a cover from the end of the boom to the stern.
1670356650565.png

Here is a 2 level connected by a center piece. Note the use of clear vinyl to give you vision of the sail trim while hiding beneath canvas.
1670356839644.png
You also get visibility to the foredeck and over the bow.
1670356868342.png

The options are endless. Often side curtains are used to give the owner and crew a comfy outdoor inside heated space.