alden 38

May 18, 2014
Greetings all! now I'm part of your family. I'm the only lucky owner of an Alden 38 in Italy. The boat needs a lot of care. I will have all I need you. thanks to all

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Stephano! We do have a lot of info and experience here. Please post photos when you can and give us some identification of the boat so Iain can record it. Is your boat an Alden 949 design(Challenger)?

Our son is studying at John Cabot in Rome. You aren't any chance nearby? He's headed back this fall. He's also quite fluent in speaking Italian, which I'm very proud to say.

Look forward to hearing more. Tom Young

May 18, 2014
the boat is an Alden Challenger class. design number 0949. Alden identification number 2130085C. I'm glad that your son can study in Italy and also help me with the Italian language. I unfortunately speak badly your tongue. currently the boat is purchased and not yet seen the truth is found in Sicily. I live in milamo. as soon as I figure out how to insert the photo here I will be happy to show the boat arrived at the Italian invasion in 2003

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Hi Stefano,

Interested to try to work out which boat you have... does she have a name?

The number that you mention does not make sense. Alden Challengers can have three different numbers:

1. The Alden design number, 949, followed by a letter or letters. This is not permanently displayed on the boat, but I believe that some boats have it on a screwed down builder's plate. You can see the Alden design numbers in the left hand column at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169

2. The Halmatic number. This was the company that moulded the hulls and decks. I believe that on Challengers, the Halmatic number is displayed in the bilge, on top of the keel. This shoud be a 4 digit number beginning 10, for example, the earliest Halmatic number I have a record for is 1044 for Alden design number 949J, ARIA. The latest Halmatic number I have a record for is 1203, for Alden design number 949DDD, PETARD.

3. The finisher's number. So far, the only finisher numbers I have a record for are for boats finished by LeComte in Holland: 2 digit numbers ranging from 29 949EE, ESSAY, to 33 for Alden 949U, recently Mohawk, but this year returned to her original PRION.

If you have no name and just the number you mentioned, that is inconsistent with what we have found to date, I think the best way to narrow down your boat is to look at the "ellusive Challengers" - ones that we have received no up to date information about since this forum began in 2004 - and eliminate from that list any that have always been owned in North America:

949GG (1963) Halmatic/Field yawl, MIMIVERRE. Originally commissioned by John V. Green, Derbyshire, England (possible port: Hamble, Hampshire, England).

949BBB (1964) Halmatic/Field & Island Boatbuilders, Cowes, yawl & cutter, OCEAN PELICAN. Originally for Ocean Youth Club, based Plymouth, England.

Note re OCEAN PELICAN: the small photo at page 12 here shows that she had very different ports (windows) in her coach-roof sides compared to other Challengers.

949DDD (1966) Halmatic/Souter yawl, PETARD. Originally commissioned by Royal Engineers Sailing Association, Southampton, UK. Port, Kiel,Germany (in 1980).

Note re PETARD: look at the crew photo here. It's not possible to see much of the boat, but she does have distinctive large Dorade ventilators.

If pushed to say which one she could be, I'd say that the unusual number you quote suggests a boat by a finisher that did not finish other Challengers = PETARD.

Probably completely wrong!

Can you post photgraphs here? Or place them somewhere else on the internet and send the link to here?

Iain

Jul 8, 2016
Hello everyone. The Aden you are talking about now belongs to me. It was love at first sight
Congratulations! :clap:

Your Alden Challenger looks wonderful, please feel free to post more pictures! :) And, if I may inquire, what name have you given your boat?

Adam

marzia

Jan 6, 2024
Alden challenger 38 Cagliari (su siccu)
hi, the old owners changed the name from virtuous to Santa Pazienza. we leave the name Santa Pazienza. poor, it has undergone horrible restoration work. the stove disappeared and they wrapped everything up, a horrendous thing.this is the photo of how they made it. I didn't like it

IMG_4366.jpeg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I forgot, we live in Italy (Sardinia)
Welcome, Marzia, to the only Alden Challenger group.

We have history and repairs performed on Challengers chronicled here on this forum. The group is not that active but posts always are answered.

Wow! I can still see the original bulkhead locations and the original cabinetry form is still there. I have tried to identify Santa Pazienza in our list of boats but haven't found her original Alden Design build number. There are others we haven't been able to identify so we'll keep trying. Any more history info and photos will help.

Iain McAllister originally set up the owners list and did the valuable research. He will eventually stop in and perhaps he might have some ideas on the origins of your boat. Per favore sii paziente

marzia

Jan 6, 2024
Thank you. I'm looking for where it is possible to recover the alloys. arduous task Unfortunately for me, the stove was thrown away by the former owner

Attachments

Jul 8, 2016
hi, the old owners changed the name from virtuous to Santa Pazienza. we leave the name Santa Pazienza. poor, it has undergone horrible restoration work. the stove disappeared and they wrapped everything up, a horrendous thing.this is the photo of how they made it. I didn't like it
My boat is also afflicted with the changes made by previous owners which they, apparently, viewed as "improvements." I really like the as-built finish by Alden's contractors, and wish someone had stopped those earlier owners before they started using their saws and drills.

Thanks for posting the additional pictures of Santa Pazienza!

Adam

marzia

Jan 6, 2024
Thanks, I'm trying little by little to make it more decorous. unfortunately for me a lot of the wood looked like it had been machine-gunned (full of holes) I had to opt for an amber colored paint and I saved what could be saved. the next step is the floor, it is made of synthetic teak (I don't like it). I'll post the new jobs soon