Alcohol stove usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2004
- - Dana Point
Does anyone have any instructions on how to use the stove in a C22? Should I use Coleman stove fuel? Are these things safe to use?

Jun 17, 2004
- - Dana Point
Alcohol Only

Do not use Coleman stove fuel. Coleman stove fuel is white gas(oline). I think you might blow yourself up in short order *yks. You want to use an alochol stove fuel or denatured alcohol. What stove & model do you have?

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
see here

Hello, Depending on the year of your stove it is either pressurized (Kenyon) or non pressurized (Origo). You can learn more here: http://webhost.sailnet.com/newport/ovenmenu.html good luck, Barry

Jun 12, 2004
- - Long Beach, CA
They are safe - if you use them correctly

ONLY USE ALCOHOL - I had one in my old C27 - very similar to the stove heads on my Optimus backpacking stove. Used it without problems for 14 years. Couple of important things to remember. You must pre-heat the stove - most important to pump the stove, open it a bit to fill the base of the bowl, maybe teaspoon of alcohol. Close the valve. Then light the fuel and let the stove heat up. You will hear the fuel in the stove shaft atomize as it gets hotter. Make sure to keep valve closed until fully pre-heated. You can then open valve just before flame burns out from pre-heating of use a match or fire stick to light stove directly now that it is pre-heated. Never leave valve open if the stove is not hot enought to atomize. Most problems with these stoves occur when people panic and large volumes of fuel are streaming out of needle point hole at valve head. When done cooking turn the valve completely shut and open several times. Most of the needle valves have a wire tip that cleans the opening. Good Luck.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Alcohol Stove

As you can tell by the previous posts...alcohol is dangerous. The new boats use propane, safer and does not smell bad.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Origo

Try the link from these archives. Very helpful. Alcohol can be, and IS, safe if used properly. We never had a curtain burner, even with our old Kenyon on our C22. Our C25 had a busted Kenyon and we used an Origo replacement - wonderful. Don't even have propane on our C34, just CNG. Works just fine, because the CNG supplier is right down the street from our marina. Off on a 2 week cruise on Monday, full CNG tanks and lots of refreshments. Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.