Albert’s Anchorage, Santa Cruz Island

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Admiral & I just recently anchored two nights at Albert’s. The anchorage lies just east of its famous neighbor, Coches Prietos, at Santa Cruz Island. It’s known as a refuge from strong NW and W winds which were forecast (i.e., 20 w/gusts to 25) for those two particular nights. Those winds did not appear there. Instead, we experienced a light & cool (1 to 3 kt) “down-slope” breeze from the west that began shortly after sunset and persisted until the next morning. I concluded that it was a type of land breeze. Temps overall, however, were mild. The second night a surge started rolling in about 0200 which kept me on anchor watch until morning. We were anchored bow and stern facing the sea arriving from the southeast so it set the boat pitching some, but otherwise no real discomfort. We were lying to 140 ft of chain in 29 to 35 ft (Spring-tide range). The loud echo of the waves crashing ashore in the rock-enclosed “pocket” made it all seem more dramatic than it actually was:yikes:! Near the time of new moon, the night sky was crowded all night with stars and a very discernible Milky Way. We welcomed the early shading that Professor Fagan references in his guide, when the sun drops below the high cliff (but not yet below the Bimini!), after a day of full-on bright sun. Sunrise emerges from behind a distant point still low enough to seem a true ocean sunrise. Overall, it’s a very nice spot!!

Last edited: