AIS Overlay Finally Installed on Chartplotters

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Pretty cool when a plan comes together. Replaced the original 2009 VHF radio on my boat which wasn't transmitting with a Garmin VHF 215 with AIS receive last year and love having AIS targets paint on my Garmin 7212 Chartplotter. Having access to information on them is a lot of fun and sometimes useful.

Fun exercise: Overlay radar on your AIS targets when you understand what they are (e.g. 42 foot sailboat; 50 foot motoryacht; car carrier) so you can see how they paint on radar so you know what you're seeing when something is NOT an AIS target.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Then when you "upgrade" to the latest iteration of Raymarine hardware you can include cameras that take IR pictures and interpret them for a visual display.

StarTrek.... for boats.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I just did same but didn’t attempt to interface with old raymarine stuff. Garmin 7607 chart plotter that I bought for previous boat, new Garmin 800 ais, and new Garmin radar. Really cool stuff when working together.

Enjoy!

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I just did same but didn’t attempt to interface with old raymarine stuff. Garmin 7607 chart plotter that I bought for previous boat, new Garmin 800 ais, and new Garmin radar. Really cool stuff when working together.

Enjoy!
You nailed it NYSail. I had a friend of mine who in a former life was a US Navy Surface Warfare Officer, and when he looked at my Garmin chartplotter overlaid with AIS, radar and satellite weather, he was amazed. He said it was more information available in one place than he ever had on the bridge of a destroyer. We live in a pretty amazing age of electronic capabilities that can be had by anyone for thousands of dollars on any boat.

Just don't get overdependant on it ;)

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
You nailed it NYSail. I had a friend of mine who in a former life was a US Navy Surface Warfare Officer, and when he looked at my Garmin chartplotter overlaid with AIS, radar and satellite weather, he was amazed. He said it was more information available in one place than he ever had on the bridge of a destroyer. We live in a pretty amazing age of electronic capabilities that can be had by anyone for thousands of dollars on any boat.

Just don't get overdependant on it ;)
Paper charts always in cockpit when traveling and horns for If/when the fog rolls in.....