Airforce Sails? Sail Numbers for mainsail??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2006
- - Benicia, CA
I am thinking of ordering an "off the shelf" mainsail for my 1982 Catalina 27 from Airforce sails. Has anyone had experience with Airforce?? I also am unsure of what number to place on the sail, the current sail is not the original. What number is supposed to be on the sail? Does it have to do with the hull #?? Present number is 77578. Appreciate any help you can give me.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Air Force is good....

I have an Air Force main and 110 jib and have been very pleased. I trust their advice so talk to them on the phone and they will answer all your questions fairly. You'll need to purchase numbers and insignia extra. The hull number and manufacturer's insigina on the main is customary. Racers display their PHRF number on their racing sails.

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
Your existing number (77578) is from US Sailing

Typically, racers (at least hard core ones, not your local club racers) get a number assigned by USSailing for use on their sails. That number stays with the boat. Most others use the hull number. Unless you are going to do some (semi)serious racing, stick with your hull number (from your HIN, it is the first 4 numbers (your first three characters (CTY) indicate the manufacturer, the 4th letter indicates the mode (e.g. N is C-30, C is 320), but you can omit the leading zeros. I've raced different boats with sail numbers 199, 4764, and 909. If you have an overlaping headsail (120% or more), you must also put numbers on it for racing. Steve Alchemist C-320 #909

Apr 30, 2006
- - Benicia, CA
Thanks

So if my hull # is CTYL5072M82F should my sail # be 5072? Will this # be good enough for beer can racing at most yacht clubs? Thanks again. Lorrie

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
Probably. Check with the Organizing Committee.

Alternatively, contact your local PHRF Committee and try to get a certificate. If they accept 5072, then you're golden. Otherwise, contact USSailing about your old number (77578). Steve Alchemist #909

Status
Not open for further replies.