Air Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rosemary

We bought a new Catalina 320 last year. As anyone familiar with the heat and humidity of the Chesapeake Bay can attest, we need to find a reasonably priced method to cool the boat. We realize that air conditioning can only be used at dock. The price quoted for central air conditioning (installed) was $7,000!! Has anyone used the portable units that fit over a hatch? They seem to run about $700-800, which is acceptable. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

B

Bryan C.

Too much

That seems way too much. General quotes I've gotten for air from WM or BoatUS is about $2500 installed for a 16000 BTU unit. Now, if you were talking about being able to use the air out in the water, you're also talking about a generator, which would put the price in the range you were quoted. But otherwise that seems way too much. I have a carry-on unit (Cruiseair???) that you see in the stores for about $750. It fits over a hatch and plugs in. Advantage is cost and it doesn't take up space if you don't bring it. However, It is only 4800 BTU, which is not going to cool down your cabin during the day if its 95 outside on a boat your size (I have an 88 H35). On the other hand, it cools things down just enough at night to make sleeping a little more comfortable, even in the tropics.

W

Wally Boggus

That's way too much

My rigger has a catalina 320 that he just installed a 16,000 btu unit in for less than $2,000. Of course, he supplied the labor but couldn't imagine that being more than $1,000 in your case.

D

Dennis Thomas

The carry on works OK

I have a Catl 36 in Texas and the carry on unit makes sleeping good even in late August. It will cool about 15 degrees below ambient in a reasonable amount of time. If this isn't good enough then add a second unit. It's still cheaper than build in. The $7K does sound too high but check out what is included in this price. There may be mulitple units for various areas which is nice but expensive. And don't forget that part of the cost may be the addition of a seperate 30 amp shore power dedicated to the air conditioner. Getting that wired professionally is important.

M

matt reid

Try a Krusin Kool portable A/C

I currently have a carry-on Cruisair on my hunter 37 in miami. It is a load to carry and work with. It does a minimal job cooling the main saloon and v birth during a hot summer day. It will not cool down the whole boat. I am currently looking into a installed a/c unit or probable a Krusin Kool portable unit by AquaCal that doesnt have to be perched thru a hatch. The unit is lighter and has a 7,000 btu cooling ability for about the same price $950.

Status
Not open for further replies.