air conditioning/heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm Pettett

Are there options and/or aftermarket air conditioning systems that can be installed in a Catalina 270?

R

Ray Bowles

At dock or at anchor?

Norm, there are 110v units that you can use dockside. The easiest is a portable unit that fits into a hatch and plugs into shorepower. You leave it in the dockbox when out. A self contained unit that runs off a generator or inverter would probably be too much in weight and space for a 27 foot boat. You are speaking mega batteries/inverters or a generator of at least 2kw. Ray

N

Norm

Thank u

Thank you Ray, I was hoping there would be something easy for dock and at anchor, but I really didn't think there would be. Appreciate the answer, N.

B

Bob

Best Deal - Stand Up Units

Norm. Forget the carry on AC unit, we found the perfect solution for our 30 Catalina and are extremely pleased. We bought a 9,000 BTU stand up portable AC unit that rolls around and has an exhaust line (expands to 10 feet) pass thru our quarter berth port hole. The beauty of these units is that the condensation does not discharge like the carry on models that can stain your deck, but rather gets evaporated in the exhaust system. We bought the Hier Model at Target for less then $400. That a lot cheaper then the cruise and carry unit or built in systems. After the season was over its stored in our garage. Its hot in Georgia and this unit took enough of the heat out while at the dock to make a huge difference below. Well worth it. Bob 30 Catalina

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
A/C

You could always go first class and get marine air. Just like central air at home.

Jan 4, 2006
Catalina 36 MKII Buford, Ga.
size and weight

Ahoy Bob, Thanks for the good information. I'm going to check this out at Target tomorrow. Do you store it aboard while sailing or can it fit in the dock box?

B

Bob

It might be too big for a dock box

Stephen We saw these stand up, roll around room AC systems at several places (from Pep Boys Auto to Brands Mart). Considering its winter, I would doubt Target has them on display. Our unit, made by Hier is about 34 inches high, 14-15 inches square. The 4-5 inch diameter hose connects to the rear and is the accordian collapseable type that entends out to a good 6-8 feet or so, thus allowing flexibility to get to a port for exhausting the heat. The 9,000 btu model we have puts out pretty cold air that is sufficient to keep the cabin cool. We stand it up in our quarter berth and vent out the quarter berth port. We had a few weeks of intense heat here and the unit could not keep up with the heat build up below. Needless to say, we all jumped in the lake to stay cool!! We weighed out the options on standard window units and the cruise and carry models and came to the conclusion that this was the easiest to handle and store. It might be to big for your deck box and its a bit heavy to move back and forth. It stores well for us while sailing as we bungee it against the entrance ladder. Bob

S

Stephen K.

You are right

...not at Target this time of year. This model will be a little large for my Capri 26, but a smaller unit may fit fine under my steps....sounds like the most straightforward and economical solution to add comfort...thanks

B

Bob

Stephen..Check Pep-Boys this spring

Stephen. Every time I walk into a Pep Boys for parts it seems that are changing more to a hardware store these days. Last summer, we saw no less than three different stand up AC models with one that was 6,000 BTU and much smaller then ours at the Pep Boys in Roswell/Alpharetta. For a Capri that size would be perfect. I know smaller models do exist so keep a weather eye open. They are fantastic for summer nights at the dock. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.