Air conditioning a C-27 through fwd hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Irwin Campbell

I'm a new owner to an older C-27, and surely, someone, somewhere, has solved the problem of how to hook up a standard Carry-Cool air conditioner to the forward hatch. The one that opens in the flat of the cabin ceiling over the head and companion way forward for the mast. ( Later models seem to be placed differently. ) I would be interested in any learning experience you have had.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 27 Carlyle Lake
I was interested in this too

... earlier this summer, and postponed doing anything. If by Carry-Cool you mean the units specially designed to fit in the forward hatch, they go for like $800-900. Most people I talked with decided it was just as easy and a lot less expensive (<200) to build a wooden support for a regular window AC, and add a hood to direct the air into the hatch. But, the idea I liked best was using one of those portable office space ac's. A guy (C27) in my marina had one that he lashed down in front of the V berth, leaving enough room (barely) to open the head door. The thing used a slinger to throw the condensed moisture into the exhaust, which was ducted through a hose like you use in a home dryer through an opening he cut in the forward hatch. Cost, about $300-400 and it's always there ready to go. That's on my winter project list, but only if there's enough budget money left after some new sails. Tom Monroe Carlyle Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.