Air Conditioner on C-309 Repair or Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2009
2 309 Key West
Dear forum,

I am having a question of wether I should figure out how to recharge this R-22 unit or bite the bullet and but a new one.. I would appreciate your thoughts.

I have a factory installed 16,000 Cruisair unit with SMX II controller
2007,,,,,, Boat was bought new and sailed in Florida for 3 years
2010 ......Unit was cooling poorly and had an unlocated leak professionally recharged with Freon
2012.......Unit is now cooling and heating only weakly again (water flow and air flow are good) no way to check gas pressures.

Product number 705216103
Description SXR 16/2 115/60/1 SMX
Serial number 63485583
Cap 16000BTU
Voltage 110/115
Hertz 60
Max amps 59
FLA cool 11.1
FLA heat 14.1
LRA 59
Refrig 22
(oz) 18 OZ

Notes:
Boat is a Catalina 309 sailboat
Boat is now in Oakland, San Francisco Bay Water Temp 55 degrees F
The A/C unit looks clean and fairly free of corrosion
Unit is used 40% for heating
40% for Dehumidifying
20% for cooling.

We plan to keep the boat for 4 more years.

My Questions Are..

1. Should it the A/C unit be replaced or serviced? (By the way I can't locate a repair facility locally)
  2. Does Dometic offer a new unit that will fit into the same space? Can I use the same controller and controller wiring?
  3. Is a remove and replacement within the range of the average competent American shade tree mechanic?

Regards
SmallSloop

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
My advice is always try to repair before replace something on your boat. It is generally cheaper, & you know what you have is already installed (big cost of A.C. is in the installation labor) that will save money. As far as their rep. I believe Cruisair units to be very popular & fairly reliable. Find that leak by a qualified A.C. repair co. via doing a pressure test. But remember that A.C. guys make their bread & butter by selling you on a replacement system rather then repairing what you have. You can still get R-22 refrigerant, but at $50 + per pound, it ain't cheap. But having it leak out is even more costly. At least your system only uses 18 oz. Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
In our area there is a Cruisair repairman and he is busy. I am sure you have one in your area too. Much better off to fix it unless you have lots of money to spare and if it can't be fixed, then he will tell you it needs to be replaced and then you can spend all that extra cash you have.

Oct 1, 2008
Catalina C-42 mkII Alameda
Try Poole Refrigeration 510-523-3495 or Anderson Refrigeration 510-521-3111. Both companies are located in Alameda.

Status
Not open for further replies.