Aged CDI Furler - Replace or Repair?

Nov 1, 2010
Oday 272 Brownstown, MI - Lake Erie Metro Park Marina
Checking for advise and direction concerning the 1988 "Original CDI Furler" on our Oday 272: Question Repair (if possible) or Replace?
I am thinking replace because the plastic drum has a section missing and the joint connections between the foil sections are bent!
What has other 272 owners done to repair the unit?
What has other 272 owners applied as a replacement furler and foil system?
Our sail is the Std 135 that came with the boat.
I want to keep the replacement cost in the $700 to $1000 range.

Thanks, John and Sue "Happy Dolphin"

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Trying to keep the 'cost down' on maintenance is the death spiral for a older sailboat. If you love it, it you want to keep it, do what it takes to keep it up. It is a 27 foot sailboat. Whatever the year, that requires a significant investment. Accept that and spend the money to make it happen.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
John,

If you are referring to the CDI Reefer II furling system (Reefer 8/9 and 10/12), then repair is in effect, replace. My plastic spool broke and after contacting CDI I purchased a new furling drum conversion kit for a reasonable price. My aluminum foil sections were still useable including the connectors (torque links), the halyard and halyard top fitting. In the future if I want to upgrade to the CDI flexible furler plastic luff, I also can with the new drum I now have. Others have repaired the kinks. I've seen some posts to that effect.

The new drum is a stainless steel enclosed unit with ball bearings and works very well. The repair saved me considerable $$$ over having to buy a complete new system.

Do you have the model that uses an internal halyard, or one that uses a locking halyard system where the boat's halyard raises a cam activator and sail which locks at the top of the luff extrusion? Once the sail is up, the halyard and cam activator are removed and stored away from the system. If you have the latter, and you do decide to replace everything, I might be interested in the locking components (head fitting, sail slide and cam slide). Let us know what you decide.

Allan

Attachments

Nov 1, 2010
Allan and other responders, I believe the smart $ is to replace. The CDI - FF4 with the ribbon foil might be the right choice. Harken appears excellent but that system is not wallet friendly. The Scheafer looks appealing also...

Hoping that a 272 owner provides advice; although it is partial hibernation for many sailors!!!

Regards, John

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I have an O'Day 272 LE with the same old cruising design furler.....Has been in use since the spring of 1987. I've kept it working okay and still have some of the 'splines' for the extrusions...I called cruising design corporate maybe 7 years ago and they sent me many new parts and 2 new drums...but here's the deal; would I rather have a harken or Schaffer? Certainly.....a friend just purchased a new Schaffer for his Catalina 22 and it is a really nice furler....the problem is the CD still works great....so I haven't answered your question.....if money is not an object, I would replace...there's another option and that is upgrade to the new drum on your Cruising Design. I'm certain that is
less expensive than a new Harken or Schaffer....Can't spell Schaffer today...Pardon....and good luck!

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks everyone for the information and good direction! Decided to buy a Schaefer snap furler CF 700. Got a super deal for a new unit on EBAY.
Anyone needing replacement parts from my original CDI 1 send me a personal message. Only destroyed 1 section of the foil, I have some connectors, set screws, nylon guides, foil sections, top halyard roller and line, parts of the drum and main unit.

Jun 12, 2016
Aloha 28 Ennismore
Good day.
I recently purchased an Aloha and inside the boat I found a CDI reffer furler system. Hiwever its missing dome parts. The base support which I can fabricate. The head pully and sail slug for the lock is missing.

So I would be very interested in these parts if you still have them. Specifically the head pully detail.
Thanks
Gord

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2010
ABbott Abbott22 Lorain, Ohio
Thanks everyone for the information and good direction! Decided to buy a Schaefer snap furler CF 700. Got a super deal for a new unit on EBAY.
Anyone needing replacement parts from my original CDI 1 send me a personal message. Only destroyed 1 section of the foil, I have some connectors, set screws, nylon guides, foil sections, top halyard roller and line, parts of the drum and main unit.
Do you still have the furler drum? I need just the drum ASAP! Will pay incl freight

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I had this same CDI system on my O'day 28. In high wind it really could not do the furling job well with a genoa, even marginal with a jib. I bit the bullet and bought a Schaeffer Sea Furl unit in the late 90's and it has been a gem. You can get hurt out there if you can't furl in a big wind.