Aft traveler

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

Anyone have any thoughts on moving the traveler from the cockpit to the cabin top? I have a 1977 30TR and have noticed newer model (early 1980s) TRs have the traveler on the cabin top reducing the clutter in the cockpit. I do not race. Would appreciate any and all experiences.

M

Michael

Moving the Traveler

My boat is a 1983 C30 TR the previous owner changed the cabin top traveler to the Garhauser traveler that is on the new C30s. The original traveler cars apparently would bind up in high winds. Check out there site at www.garhauser.com. I think the easiest way to do it is to use the track risers. They mount to the deck and the track is mounted to them. This way the track is off the deck and you can bring your reef and halyard lines back under the system. Good luck Michael

R

Rick Dober

Try Garhauer

Garhauer supplies much of the hardware on Catalina boats and they have an upgrade that moves the traveler to the cabin top. I have purchased some hardware (new double stacked deck organizers). The advantage of buying their stuff is since they are the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), the new parts often fit perfectly into the old holes.

C

Chris Gonzales

Call Guido...

At Garhauer. Tell him I sent you (hehe, sounds like a Mafia plot, eh?) I installed their flat traveller on my '79 C30 TRBS cabin top to replace the original curved traveller. It is a great piece of equipment and I purchased it with all new mainsheet blocks. Sure moves that big main quite easily in heavy winds. (In your case you will also have to buy the hardware to attatch those blocks to the boom). The problem is, though, that it was at least 6 inches too short (bar length) to allow all three lines on each side to feed under the risers without touching the riser legs. I decided to keep it and move two lines on each side outside of the riser legs and angle them to the clutches and winches with double stacked cheek blocks. This meant using two double and two single clutches. I couldn't move the organizers because of the location of the teak grab rails. More work but it all turned out ok. In my discussions with Guido, and subsequent digital photos emailed to him, he agreed that in the future the traveller should be 6 inches or so longer, moving the risers outboard more. Give him a call and tell him about this and he will be sure you get the right length. Even if you don't have all those lines led aft, you will have a traveller with more 'travel" in it, as should be. Chris Gonzales PS. I also changed out the old, tired organizers for new Garhauer organizers, and added their rigid boom vang. Great stuff, especially for the bucks spent.

M

Mark

Thanks

Thanks to all for the super information. I will let you know how it turns out.

J

Joe Ford

added mainsheet purchase...

..don't forget to increase mainsheet purchase to at least 6:1. You give up a lot of the boom's natural leverage as the point of effort is moved forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.