Aft Cabin Quarter Panel Door removal

Jan 11, 2017
Catalina 309 Melbourne
I have a 2007 Catalina 309 and i've been wanting to do some maintenance around the Starboard side of the engine, but to do it right (e.g., more comfortably) requires removal of the aft cabin quarter panel door (the panel next to the engine - see two pictures enclosed).
  1. Has anyone removed this quarter panel door? Do i need to take the load off with a two by four prior to removing the >20 screw fasteners? The folks over in Catalina where not too crazy about doing so, instead suggested drilling a hole on the bottom of the quarter door for access (which i rather not do).
Much appreciated.

Regards,

-Nunez

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Cutting out an access hole and installing a rectangular or square removable access panel with a catch lock to access the starboard side of the engine makes sense, if you want better engine access. That is what I have on my Hunter 46. I can post a pic of the panel if you want.

Jan 11, 2017
Catalina 309 Melbourne
Cutting out an access hole and installing a rectangular or square removable access panel with a catch lock to access the starboard side of the engine makes sense, if you want better engine access. That is what I have on my Hunter 46. I can post a pic of the panel if you want.
Yes, that would be much appreciated. At least I would get an idea of what to do if I go that route.

Regards,

-Nunez

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I have removed the aft cabin door/bulkhead and all the wood around the engine in my similar 320 to repaint engine and varnish woodwork. The only real difficulty in removing that 'bulkhead" is that you must remove a little of the lower corner or it just won't quite fit in or out of the fiberglass liner. after picture below. On reflection I should have refinished in place rather than put that much effort into removing.
engine.jpg

Jan 11, 2017
Catalina 309 Melbourne
I have removed the aft cabin door/bulkhead and all the wood around the engine in my similar 320 to repaint engine and varnish woodwork. The only real difficulty in removing that 'bulkhead" is that you must remove a little of the lower corner or it just won't quite fit in or out of the fiberglass liner. after picture below. On reflection I should have refinished in place rather than put that much effort into removing.
View attachment 200029
Thanks Ted ! at least now I know that it can be done.. :)

Regards,

-Nunez

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
This is a photo of my starboard 16" wide x 24" high access panel with locks on each side.

1636574919807.png

RickC

Oct 4, 2015
Catalina 309 Toronto
I removed that panel on my 309 (#174) so that I could refinish it. Re-installing just required a little gentle tapping to nudge it into position against the leather strip and headliner on the aft end

Jan 11, 2017
Catalina 309 Melbourne
Thank you!! finally someone who did it, so I know now that it can be done.

Very much appreciated.

Regards,

-Nunez

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
I remove that panel on my 309 every time I do an oil change. Only takes me a couple min and makes the job so much easier. On mine, there are 2 screws at the bottom I need an offset screw driver to undo. Otherwise, the other screws are quick an easy.

Dave