Advise for new main Anchor for 87 Hunter 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry Stewart

Looking to purchase a new main anchor for my 31'. Requirements are for it to still fit in the forward locker by the bow where the present anchor is stored. We sail in the lower part of the bay where mud and sand is the makeup of the bottom mostly. Any recommendations...looking at the Fortress, like to go to the larger size but looks like the FX-11 is the only one that will fit...FX-16 is too large for the storage area on the bow. Appreciate any suggestions, different makes, models, etc.. ...Larry... Sandy Sea

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Need a couple

Larry: From my experience, the danforth type anchor is an excellent choice for mud and sand. If you are going to get into grass/weeds I would recommend a Delta. We presently have a Delta in our forward locker and you just need to adjust it to make it fit in there. Of course the danforths fit fine. I do not think that there is a perfect anchor.

S

steve F

my experiance....

I also have a hunter 31. Last year I purchased a fortress FX-11, it's fits in the anchor locker, the one that came with the boat was an oversized danforth I kept on the bow pulpit. I had a dragging experiance in a weedy area with the fortress. I know danforth type anchors don't work well in weeds But now I don't trust the light weight anchor. I've added an anchor roller and plan to purchase a Delta or CQR. Bottom line I wouldn't use a fortress as my primary anchor.......If you want your primary anchor to fit in your anchor locker buy a heavier danforth...

J

John

Two anchors

I believe we should have two anchors, 1) our "working" every day medium duty anchor, and 2) the "big honker" anchor for tough jobs and emergency weather. I keep the "big honker" in the aft lazerette, but since H31's tend to be "butt heavy" to begin with, I want to move the "big honker" forward and on the bow if I can. Some folks recommend a third "light duty" anchor for deploying off the stern to keep us from swinging around in tough anchorages (if that is applicable to your sailing area). I am considering installing a anchor roller, and keeping my "working" anchor on it, and out of the anchor locker. Then... I have an oversized Danforth (with 10 ft. chain). I might cut down the (perpendicular rod) width slightly so it fits in the anchor locker. I would keep the rode/chain for both in the anchor locker. Moving and narrowing the "big honker" is only an idea I am entertaining,and I haven't proved it out for being do-able yet.... Any thoughts readers?

D

Doug

Size up the Fortress

It is not the weight of an anchor that gives you the holding power. For example, your boat would tow around a 50 pound round ball as easy as a 10 pound round ball on the bottom. It is the shape and function of the anchor. Bottom type is a factor also obviously. We have the fortress fx16 on our 33.5. We have been rafted to a catalina 30 with only our fortress 16 down in a 30 knot wind and didnt budge. We bought it because independant tests from coast guard and US Navy showed it to have superior holding. I like it cause it's aluminum, light and stays looking nice.Just some thoughts. You may want to stick with fortress but move to the 16. Good luck.

L

Larry Stewart

Thanks to all for the responses!!

Thanks for all the comments and advise...looks like I'll be getting a Fortress and have a big clunker stored in the stern locker just in case. I know the FX-16 is too large for the bow locker but we will see...may have to maek a few adjustments...where's that hack saw of mine. Thanks again to everyone...really love this site...everyone has always been helpful especially Peggy Hall when I had to tackle the pumping last summer. Fair winds to all! ...Larry... Sandy Sea

T

Tim

BOW ROLLER

Sorry for the blank initial posting, hit the "RTN" button too early! Larry, I highly recommend you install a bow roller and put your primary anchor on it, w/ the secondary in the bow locker. I did so 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. I live in Norfolk and the boat is at the Naval Base, so if you want to contact me and take a look at what I did, please respond here or directly at: TIDETIM@AOL.COM. I'd be happy to show you what I did. Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.