Advice Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod

I am a "Prairie Sailor" Every year at this time I am smitten by west coast sailing. I am presently looking at a Catalina 22. It has been dry docked for 1 year. There is a seperation of the Keel (fixed) from the hull which will be repaired. My questions are many. What effect will having a boat drydocked for one year have on plumbing etc. I understand that the rubber fixtures etc. dry out and that it requires a fair bit of work and cash to bring these fixtures back into action. True or False. Having never sailed a Catalina before I am interested in comments about this boat. I am a neophyte sailor. I am purchasing with the idea of day sailing and a fairbit of overnight sailing. I fear the boat is too small for overnights. How does in sail in high winds, and light winds? I have read many of the forum letters todate. Most of the Catalina's seem to have swing keels. This boat, as mentioned has a fixed keel. I would appreciate any comments on the fixed keel. The boat is a 1977 model, apparently built in Hollywood USA. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

D

Dave LaPere ( Nature's Cradle)

Fixed Keels/Swing Keels

Hello to our new friend from the North! I read your letter regarding the used Catalina and your concerns. I have a new mark ll with a swing keel and am very happy with it, but if I lived near the ocean and did not wish to sail inland waters then my first choice would have been a fixed keel version. The differences other then that are probably miniscule other than how the boat handles. Mine is very good with light winds with a standard sailplan. I can't say about high winds or seas since I choose to try to avoid those types of situations. However I feel confident that my Catalina could withstand a modest beating without the rigging falling down around my ears so to speak. As to plumbing, well anything made for the marine envoirnment will cost you more because it's a specialty application, but if you can do the labor portion, you might find it more reasonable to take on. Hope this helps. Happy sailing :) Dave LaPere

J

jkleid@excite.com

Dry dock one year, Plumbing on a 22?

keel boat needs water under it. Handling is like two different boats. with the swing keel you can't let go of the tiller, the "steering is very sensitive, the keel boat will tend to keep on line, is slower to react to sudden wind changes, and will sail like a bigger boat compared to the swing keel. If ya got the depth of water to sail the 22 catalina is THE perfect learning boat- parts are easy, and if ya decide to trade-up there is always a market- best of luck

H

Hoss

My Boat Was "Dry" Docked for 5 Years!

In late 1997 I bought a 1978 C22 that had been abandoned and left sitting, completely neglected, in a truck yard for 5 years. It appeared structurally sound so I bailed gallons of water out of it, hauled it home and spent a weekend cleaning it. There were bird nests, bees nests, mud and all of the previous owner's junk to get rid of.. Then I launched the hull to be sure it would float. It did. Then I rigged it, bought a used Yamaha 6hp motor and set sail. It has been a great boat. After that season I gave the boat a complete face lift: new hull paint, 7 coats of varnish on all ext. wood fittings, new antifouling paint and teak-oiled the inerior wood. Many of the "experts" recommended completely new rigging but I stayed with the original and have had no problems. The sails are in good shape so I doubt they are original. Very surprising was the decent condition in which I found the seat cushions. I overnight on it a lot. It is fine for 2 people but probably not more than that. It sails well in all winds, behaving nicely when reefed. Rare is the day when it is too rough to sail. It is a solid boat, and I would recommend it. I am a concered about eh hull/keel repair you mentioned Can you be more specific? Hoss

Status
Not open for further replies.