Advice/question re: Hunter 36 standing rigging

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
I'm starting to plan for new standing rigging. Our boat is a 2004 and we've had rigging inspections that were fine, but I wonder if it's better to do it now anyway. This won't be a DIY so I'll be paying the yard.

We've been told by experienced owners that our marina is well respected for their work. But I know that the B&R rig and the required mast bend are a bit unusual. Should I be looking for a yard that specializes in Hunters or can a good rigger do this just as easily as any other boat?

Our surveyor suggested that a 2004 boat should also have the chainplates removed, inspected, and re-bedded. I'm not sure whether that means just the visible chainplates on each side and the attachment for the forestay?

I know there are attachments somewhere hidden behind the cabinets for the rods that anchor the inner stays. Seems like they would not be exposed to the weather so do they also need to be done? Is it better to just have the fittings rebedded?

I guess I'm hoping for some good opinions on exactly what should be done or what other people with similar age boats have done.

Thanks,
Andy

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Andy
Congrats on taking the step to assure you and the crew that the mast and rigging is sound. I did that back in 2016 on my boat. One of the best actions taken so far in refitting my 1973 boat.

Any competent rigger who has worked on a B&R rig should be able to tune the rig after the refit. You should ask the rigger about his/her experience with a B&R rig. If not satisfactorily answered then you might look for another rigger.

Sounds like you should make proper tuning of the rig a specification in your work order.

Your surveyor made an intelligent recommendation. And yes that means all of the rig chain plates. If the enclosed rods are dry and rust free then all is good. Inspection may revel stresses or fractures from use. You want to know that and take the appropriate action to resolve the issue. The question about water not getting into the enclosed space is hopeful thinking. Most of the time the space remains dry. On some boats it does not. It is the hidden danger that can jump up and bite you. You are taking the steps to resolve that, don't go half way and rely on hope. This is one of those Trust but Verify actions.

Fortunately this is one of those once in 15 year expenses for most of us.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Aug 26, 2019
MacGregor 22 Belews Lake
Does anyone know where to find the tensions for the various shrouds?
2012 Hunter e36.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Hey Andy,

We did ours last year on our 2003. We had a rig survey in 2017 that found no issues, but we were getting ready for a 1000 mile trip and I didn't want to take any chances.

My advice would be to go to a yard with a good reputation that has an in-house rigging shop. Chances are they've probably rigged many B&R rigs, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Just to close the loop... we had the marina do our rigging in August. It seems good - we've had three days sailing in 10-15 knot winds and no problems. I guess time will tell.