Advice on Selling Alden Challenger 949C

Jan 14, 2005
I'm planning to sell Spring Tides, 949 C. I haven't been an active follower of the forum, since I am not a big fan of computers, but the old forum saved me a lot of grief with expert info and advice on the chainplate problem. Is there any current advice on brokers/pricing for an Alden Challenger? I will prepare photos, and a good description of the current condition. Is there a compilation of past sales somewhere, or compilation of asking prices over the years? I've spent a number of hours reviewing the forum, but there is so much information that I suspect I may have missed a gold mine of data. Thanks. Bo Huhn

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Tell us more about the boat. In 19 years on SBO, I have never heard of it. I understand it is fiberglass hull with a wood cabin. Is it 38 feet long?

I will say that production boats from the 70’s have taken a big dive in the last few years. Our ‘77 h27 held its value well until now. It dropped 50% in last year or two.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm planning to sell Spring Tides, 949 C. I haven't been an active follower of the forum, since I am not a big fan of computers, but the old forum saved me a lot of grief with expert info and advice on the chainplate problem. Is there any current advice on brokers/pricing for an Alden Challenger? I will prepare photos, and a good description of the current condition. Is there a compilation of past sales somewhere, or compilation of asking prices over the years? I've spent a number of hours reviewing the forum, but there is so much information that I suspect I may have missed a gold mine of data. Thanks. Bo Huhn
The used boat market is stuck in it's lowest low, and shows no signs of rising. Alden Challengers are unique boats and I think they appeal to a very small segment of this very small market...

Because only 50+ were built, and several are now history, sales data of Challengers is tough to come by. Comparable sales are likely similar boats in size and vintage.

If you post more info on the boat, especially photos of condition, upgrades and history, we may be able to help point you in a direction. Condition will have the biggest effect on value and finding a buyer.

Also, where is the boat located? Believe it or not, that affects the value of sailboats.

On the positive side, my Challenger has increased in value in the last 10 or so years. It's nearly 60 years old.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Forum rules Please do not post items for sale in the forums.

Jan 14, 2005
The used boat market is stuck in it's lowest low, and shows no signs of rising. Alden Challengers are unique boats and I think they appeal to a very small segment of this very small market...

Because only 50+ were built, and several are now history, sales data of Challengers is tough to come by. Comparable sales are likely similar boats in size and vintage.

If you post more info on the boat, especially photos of condition, upgrades and history, we may be able to help point you in a direction. Condition will have the biggest effect on value and finding a buyer.

Also, where is the boat located? Believe it or not, that affects the value of sailboats.

On the positive side, my Challenger has increased in value in the last 10 or so years. It's nearly 60 years old.

I understand that in 1959 or 1960 SPRING TIDES was the third Alden Challenger constructed, (749C), named ARA by the original owner. My parents, Tom and Mary Huhn, purchased her in 1967 or so and cruised back and forth between Newport RI and Fort Lauderdale Fla. every year for 25 years. The boat was in rough shape following my father's death, so I trucked her to Guilford Ct. and paid a ton of $ for a major restoration in 2004 by a boatyard in Noank, Ct. The cabin top above the deck and roof were removed and rebuilt, as was the cockpit and toe rails. New flooring in cabin. New cushions. New hatches installed. Mast repainted and new rigging in 2005. New fuel tanks were fabricated and installed. New hot water tank. Engine was replaced in 1998 or so, but has relatively few hours of use and is in good shape. Then boat was stored under cover for ten years. I relaunched her three years ago and have been sailing in the Guilford Ct. area since then. New bilge pump installed last year. The hull was repainted with awlgrip eighteen years ago, but needs a new paint job. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Bo Huhn
IMG_0249.jpg

I attach photos

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
it is always interesting to me when reading about high end restorations and there is no mention of the sails. for me the sails are the heart of the vessel. the sail in the photo looks 50 yrs old and limp. it's all about the ride. this old vessel will be way more seakindly than these newer condo boats. these are old campers. they are fantastic. like a very old airstream. allot of these modern boaters want robot boats with autopilot, climate control, etc etc.
vessel looks in great shape.
old aldens are liked in maine, new england, ...
here on the lakes i tell people that aeolus is an alden design and they have never heard of him. there are only a few who understand how to campaign these fine old boats and get the most out of them. these are great exploring vessels with a great ability for sailing from A to B. they are sailboats, not motorsailers.
i would advertise on the new england coast.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks for those photos, Bo. As you know SBO doesn't allow Boats For Sale ads on the forum. They sells ads for used boats which I think would be effective once you decide on a plan of selling SPRING TIDES. A buyer may come through the forum via the ad.

We can give you our 2 cents here, on how best to go about finding a buyer.

After viewing the photos I was relieved to see the boat has good bones. After 60 years, unless the fragile wood parts (house, cockpit, etc) have received proper care, these boats are often too far gone to salvage unless someone with the means and knowledge will undertake a full restoration. I'd say you had that restoration done in 2004.

The photos of the deck and cabin below show no decks leaks. Very little has been added to the original which is also rare (and good in my opinion). It's a clean slate, mostly restored, ready for a new owner.

I agree with Jon that your lead photo of the moored boat is a downer because of the mainsail. No offense but it sends a bad signal. :) This is easy to remedy: Take the sail off and re-photograph the boat, preferably in lower, late afternoon light, with the naked spars. Level the horizon before you take the shot.

First, you're in a good location for an old Alden. I'd recommend looking for a local broker experienced in classic sailboats. It may even be a broker that specializes in wooden classics.

Price? This is a tough question. There are so few sales and very few comparable boats for sales data. Without inspecting the boat I'd say it's about 85% of a complete, restored classic sailboat. That's a plus in my mind.

A 100% restored and maintained 38' Alden Challenger would probably be realistically broker-priced in the range of,... 40 to 60 K. My guess; the actual selling price would be about 20% less (be ready to deduct the cost of new sails from the asking price).

All in all, your boat is a good candidate for selling but a ready buyer will be the tough part.

Jan 14, 2005
Thanks for those photos, Bo. As you know SBO doesn't allow Boats For Sale ads on the forum. They sells ads for used boats which I think would be effective once you decide on a plan of selling SPRING TIDES. A buyer may come through the forum via the ad.

We can give you our 2 cents here, on how best to go about finding a buyer.

After viewing the photos I was relieved to see the boat has good bones. After 60 years, unless the fragile wood parts (house, cockpit, etc) have received proper care, these boats are often too far gone to salvage unless someone with the means and knowledge will undertake a full restoration. I'd say you had that restoration done in 2004.

The photos of the deck and cabin below show no decks leaks. Very little has been added to the original which is also rare (and good in my opinion). It's a clean slate, mostly restored, ready for a new owner.

I agree with Jon that your lead photo of the moored boat is a downer because of the mainsail. No offense but it sends a bad signal. :) This is easy to remedy: Take the sail off and re-photograph the boat, preferably in lower, late afternoon light, with the naked spars. Level the horizon before you take the shot.

First, you're in a good location for an old Alden. I'd recommend looking for a local broker experienced in classic sailboats. It may even be a broker that specializes in wooden classics.

Price? This is a tough question. There are so few sales and very few comparable boats for sales data. Without inspecting the boat I'd say it's about 85% of a complete, restored classic sailboat. That's a plus in my mind.

A 100% restored and maintained 38' Alden Challenger would probably be realistically broker-priced in the range of,... 40 to 60 K. My guess; the actual selling price would be about 20% less (be ready to deduct the cost of new sails from the asking price).

All in all, your boat is a good candidate for selling but a ready buyer will be the tough part.

Jan 14, 2005
Thanks Tom, Jon, and Greg,
I will list the boat with SBO when I have figured out a price. The sails are definitely old, 1963 according to the sail bag. I sort of like using the "classic" sails, but I'm sure a new owner will wish to purchase new ones, and that will affect the sale price. Do you think $45,000 is a reasonable asking price? I will search for an experienced broker for classic yachts and ask for an opinion. Bo Huhn

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
These Alder boats have such easily walked deck space. I must be joyful moving about her.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Tom, Jon, and Greg,
I will list the boat with SBO when I have figured out a price. The sails are definitely old, 1963 according to the sail bag. I sort of like using the "classic" sails, but I'm sure a new owner will wish to purchase new ones, and that will affect the sale price. Do you think $45,000 is a reasonable asking price? I will search for an experienced broker for classic yachts and ask for an opinion. Bo Huhn
That sounds reasonable to me from looking at the photos, Bo.