Advice for getting a fixer-upper Lido 14 out on the water this summer

May 31, 2020
W.D. Schock Corp Lido 14 San Juan Islands
Reaching out as I embark on my first iteration of making a terrible financial (but excellent quality-of-life!) decision to start a boat project, and hoping to learn from your collective experience...

I've been gifted an old sailing dinghy by neighbors trying to cut down on boat projects. I'm a beginner sailor living in the San Juan Islands, and I decided to take this on in the hopes that it will be quite the learning opportunity - and humble me with regards to money/time required to keep these things in proper shape! The way I see it, better to take on a rusty musty trailer sailer to play around with now on a small budget than impulse buy a money pit cruiser just because she looks like the one that will take me to Baja some years from now :)

I've identified it as a Lido 14 based on design, although transom modifications appear to have been made. The hull looks to be sound. Came with a trailer, sails, mast/boom, rudder, rigging, and a handful of unattached hardware...also two non-standard centerboards (?) One is fiberglass, shown in the boat. The other is solid metal, shown laying on the ground, attached to a line through the centerboard case. The centerboard case has some soft rot spots, looks a bit warped, and I assume there was once a varnished wood cap with hardware installed. I suspect I need new standing and running rigging, a tiller, and to fix or replace the cracked rudder attachment. I'm considering making my own tiller and would appreciate input if anyone has done so. As I'm new to sailing and to sailboats in general, there are parts here that I don't understand and can't match to a factory Lido 14 because of modification or wear & tear.

IMG_3600[1].JPG

IMG_3601[1].JPG

IMG_3602[1].JPG

IMG_3604[1].JPG

IMG_3607[1].JPG

IMG_3608[1].JPG

What do you suggest are the necessary fixes to get this boat out on the water ASAP? Note that I'm working with about a $1K budget.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
As long as you can get the centerboard to function, and the rudder's pintles are intact (gudgeons are attached to the boat, and are the "female" part of the assembly), all you really need is to fashion a tiller.... to get out on the water. Don't venture out too far, or if conditions are strong, of course. You can get fancy with a laminated curved hardwood tiller, or just get a piece of aluminum tubing (1" diameter at least) to connect to the rudder.

I honestly think you would learn a lot if you could find some rigged up boats similar to yours that you can inspect, just to see how things are put together. Another suggestion is to find a sailing class in your wonderful sailing paradise. I can't imagine an area like yours doesn't have a community college sailing program.... You would learn so much and meet others to share the experience with. I went through a school like that in San Diego that was supported by all the state universities and community colleges in the area. It was so much fun and totally not expensive. One of the boats we sailed was almost exactly like the Lido 14. Anyway.... you're going to have fun... but think about finding the saiing classes... it'll be worth it.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A rudder is relatively easy to build for a small boat. You can laminate some marine ply together. Buy the thickness that is the same thickness as those hatch covers. 1 sheet. You can laminate up larger thicknesses as you need them. Make the rudder blade shaped not barndoor shape and about a foot and a half or so long. Shape it like a wing. Use marine ply on each side to support the rudder. And also a front closure to attach the pintels to. You'll need a bolt so the rudder can rotate up for bottom clearance. Also lines to manipulate the rudder up and down. I used some copper tube (From a refrige ice maker) to direct the line for fair and snag free runs. Jam cleats to hold the line. I'm pretty sure there's a video on Off Center Harbor for this. If I find it I'll send a link.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Offcenterharbor.com reference is "Building the Caladonia Yawl" parts 31 & 32. I think you get to view 3 vids before they want you to pay. That is a 20' boat so you don't need nearly as big. Also, he didn't taper the leading edge which I did building mine. I forgot in last post to advise you to attach a piece of hardwood between the plywood rudder panels. You can then use fasteners to to hold the panels.

May 31, 2020
W.D. Schock Corp Lido 14 San Juan Islands
Thanks for the input, @Joe and @shemandr . I think I'll likely slap an aluminum tiller on there for now. The rudder looks to be in ok shape, but the removable panel on which it is hung is cracking around the bolt and seems to be the real potential problem in the rudder system when applying any force. And thanks for directing me to Offcenterharbor.com, @shemandr , it looks like great resource!

The more affordable local sailing programs have cancelled their summer schedule due to COVID, @Joe , but I'll certainly be out on the water with skilled friends in the meantime! And hopefully can find some folks with similar dinghies on island to inspect, as you suggested.