adventure in the stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

br smith

This latest trip started in Chatta. Tn. I bought the h-34 in Hampton two and half years ago and have been bring it down the coast to Fla while living in the Chatta area with a goal of home porting somewere on the Gulf coast. Dan Cahill a friend and coworker and I left Chatta. 7pm 2-22-00 with a one way car to Melbourne, Fla, after an all night drive we arrived early morning to ready the boat for the trip to Abaco. The plan was for an icw trip to Ft. Pierce then out the Inlet for an overnight sail to West End. We arrived in FT. P around 5pm and refueled for the crossing. Now this is were the adventure begins, maybe not for you old salts but for two novice from Tn. it was.My only coastal experience was back in the early 80's in 26 down the gulf coast and Dan's first sail was with me, Charleston to Melbourne outside down the east coast the weather was great , the wind right, we sailed most of the way 5-6k with no sail changes, Dan was hooked and bought a nice Capri 26 for out lake at home. Now I know about diesel and fuel filters and they were changed and ready. Its 6pm with the Sun setting, its time to go. The wind has been 20 for days and the forecast was E 15-20 seas 5-7 not bad, not great but no bad.We had our jack lines ready and harnesses on , sails ready, not up because of the E wind, would set them later after we were out and turned S.E.. OK , we head out with the tide, wind E at 20+ and yes they were steep and about 8-10 ft., about half the way out, you guessed it NO ENGINE. I didn't know at first the wind and sea were so loud, the next wave tried to turn us around, I looked at Dan, no eng we need sails now. He was already hooked to the jack line and headed for the mast to help with the main that was ready to go up. With the sails up we had forward movement and were able to crawl off from the jetty and shore(thank you hunter for a boat that can point). Now what, work on the eng. and head for West End. Now I'm not prone to sea sickness, I've jumped off Lookout Mt. in hang gliders, soared in sail planes, fly power planes and have been a diver since 1975, but being over that warm eng. down in the hot cabin in 7+ seas I got sick, I mean really sick, could only work for 10 min. before having to go up on deck and recoup. Dan was doing a great jop on the helm in the steep 7-9 ft. seas and the boat was doing great. Around 9pm I was able to restart the eng., the fuel must have foamed in the rough inlet and when we went neg.G off the steep waves it suck air, this is with a full tank! Things are better, eng. running, sails up and doing 7k, I'm even doing better, but it is a very wet ride. The bow is under water with every wave, I go down for wet weather gear. I have read about coming out on deck and going over the side, well its true. Before going up I hooked up my harness and steped out and wham a wave hit and I went across the cockpit, hit the other side with great pain. Thats it, Dan its yours steer 120 and wake me when we are there and I go to sleep in the cockpit, an hour later I'am awake in pain but better and relieve and very tired Dan. We roate the rest of the night and arrive in West End around noon. After 18 hours of pounding my h-34 only had a small leak in the foward cabin and thats with the bow under water a lot of the time. The boat did great and now that I think about it we did too. PS - West End has new docks and the ck in was $100.00. Indian Cay Channel is ok for 4.5 Ft. we went threw at low tide. the rest of the trip was uneventful ( dui in a dink, we like our Tn. whisky and something about dragging anchor, but thats another story .

J

Jim Ewing

More info...

I'm planning a similar trip (except the part about going out the inlet when the wind's against the tide) in about three weeks. We'll be leaving for West End out of Palm Beach Inlet and doing a night crossing. How was West End? Is Customs open on weekends there? Also Indian Cay Channel, what kind of depths did you find (my 37.5 needs about 5')? We're planning on only going as far as Green Turtle this trip so any info you have for the northern Abacos would be appreciated. You can contact me directly via e-mail jewing@netster.com. Thanks Jim "Prospect"

Status
Not open for further replies.