Adjusting the Tachometer/Engine RPMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I have the M-18 Universal diesel (500 hrs) on my '88 Catalina 30. I was adjusting the throttle linkage and when I removed it from the accelerator bar on the engine, I revved the engine as far as the governor would allow, but only saw 2600 rpm on the tachometer in the instrument box. Often, when the engine is turned off, the tach will settle and show 1,000 rpm!! The owners manual states that the max. rpm is 3200 and cruising is 2200 - 2600 rpm. So I obviously have something out of adjustment. I dare not play with the factory governor setting. I do not know what instrument is required to check the rpm at the engine side. I do however, see a small adjustment screw behind the tach. Right now, I am lost as to what and how to make the correction. Thanks Bob Catalina 30

R

Randy

Tachometer adjustment

Bob-- I have the Universal M-18 in my 84 Catalina 27. When I bought the boat seven years ago, I had the exact same problem. My tach would only show about 2500rpm in neutral, and I could only get 2200 in gear. I began checking for engine problems--fuel filters, air filter, bad prop, things like that. Then I realized that the engine was running just fine, and I was getting excellent performance from it (hull speed). So it had to be the tach. At the time, I didn't have the knowledge to adjust it, so I had my mechanic do it. With reflective tape on the crank pulley and a light he measured the actual engine rpms (which were just fine) and then adjusted the tach. On my tach, there were a series of pins on the back of it that are adjusted to match the input signal (I think mine is taken from the alternator). In my case, a replacement tach had been installed by the prior owner, but the pins were never adjusted correctly. Once the pins were adjusted properly, I was getting good tach readings at idle and full throttle, both in gear and out of gear. Problem solved. I do not recall the exact cost of this repair, but it took less than an hour. If you have the knowledge (or could read up on it) you could probably do it yourself for next to nothing. Randy

B

Bob

Thanks Randy

Sounds great to me Randy. My engine sounds great up to max running so I believe its the tach that is messed up. Interesting about the tape and light. For the cost of the equipment, it would pay to have someone with prior experience make the proper setting. This was the answer I was seeking and I appreciate the feedback. Bob Lake Lanier, GA

B

Bob B.

Strobe Light Tachometer

In reply number one, Randy is refering to a strobe light tachometer. This can be a small hand held device similar in size to an automotive timing light. The strobe light frequency or flashes per minute is adjusted by turning a knob. The light is aimed at the moving target (flywheel) & the frequency is adjusted untill the target appears motionless. The light frequency or in this case, the RPM is indicated in the display. These strobes are common in industry to check all types of machinery rotating speed & also for "freezing" a moving item for inspection. Regards from Canada.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Try Teleflex for the settings

for the dip switches. Alternatively, you could just proportion the revs and leave it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.