Adhesive/sealant required for plexiglass to fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Fajardo, Puerto Rico
I have a leak coming from a fixed to the side, plexiglass window (?) which was recentlly removed in order to seal it with silicone. I have been told that silicone does not work for that aplication and requires a special adhesive/sealant,

Does anyone know what it is?

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
I second the Dow 795 but that is silicone. Not all silicones are equal so use the Dow or a high quality marine silicone. Silicone is the only sealant that should be used with acrylic plastics.

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS
www.projectboatzen.com

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I second the Dow 795 but that is silicone. Not all silicones are equal so use the Dow or a high quality marine silicone. Silicone is the only sealant that should be used with acrylic plastics.

Capt. Wayne Canning, AMS
www.projectboatzen.com
It is indeed a silicone. It is the appropriate product for this application and will give a good result--very tenacious and durable stuff. As always, proper surface prep is important.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
That is th e proper caulk to use. Although some use acetone on fiberglass and gel coat to clean up, remember that acetone should never be used around plexiglas. Only use alcohol to clean up with. If making a bead smooth, you can dip the finger in the alcohol or use spit too. Make sure you wipe the finger off constantly

Status
Not open for further replies.