Additional Insulation for Icebox

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob

I have a 1987 36 and there doesn't seem to be any insulation around the icebox. Has anyone tried to add additional insulation around the icebox? What did you use and how did you reach the back side of the box?

J

John Langsenkamp

36 ice box

Glacier Bay makes ice boxinserts for marine refigeration units. They custom fit the inserts for various applications.Their web site is:www.glacierbay.com. Hope this helps.

D

Dan Smith

insulation

I am told by catalina that the galley is installed in a complete unit and that it is not practical to make any modifications to anything..... good luck I have a 42 and cant get behind or under anything in the fridge or freezer. DAN

C

Chuck Fink

insulation possible

I have read many articles in the tech notes about putting insulation around the ice box. Sheets of insulation are inserted from the aft cabin storage locker on the side of the bunk. After cramming as much as you can you drill holes through the sides of the icebox and spray insulating foam through the holes. Then you plug the holes with gelcoat patch. For more complete information see the technical notes from Bob McCullough on the Catalina web page.

B

Bob Camarena

Top is Critical

If the 36 is similar to the 30, it is insulated and, although it could use more, the top and lid are the big problem. In my ' 81 30, the lid was wood with no insulation and the top was either uninsulated or minimally insulated. I glued 2" of blue rigid foam construction insulation under the counter top and insulated my lid with two suitably sized Tupperware type containers filled with spray in foam. The difference is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.