Additional filter to my existing Racor R12S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2012
Seaward Fox Washougal WA
Hello all,

I just bought a 1984 hunter 27 with a Westerbeke 10two diesel engine. It sat in the water for the winter without being winterized and I have no idea how much fuel is in the tank (not removable and is a dark green plastic so I can't see how much fuel is in it). The system has a Racor R12S filter between the tank and engine. It is my understanding that this filter is for very small particles (2 microns????). Seems like I should mount a larger filter/water seperator between existing Racor and fuel tank???? Any suggestions? Or should I just fill the tank with fresh fuel, change the filter, add biocide, and add water treatment and run it up and down the river and change filters again? I am having all the fluids changed and the coolant system flushed mid month. I am going to buy the pump and change the oil and filter myself. Not sure if I wanna try the tranny fluid (I haven't seen much info online for this service, but assume similar to engine oil). Mainly, I want the diesel mechanic to diagnos a leak from the raw water pump and inspect the motor. I am gonna try and get as much of the easy $100 hour easy stuff done prior, but want a good mechanics blessing. I know this post is all over the place, because I already took my sleep meds, but any input to get this motor and power system in good running order would be much appreciated.

Thanks
JB

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I think that Racor 12 is rated at 15 gph. I doubt that you need any larger of a filter. You may want to replace the cartridge with a 10 or 30 micron. I doubt that you engine uses 1/2 gal per hour.

If you are worried about quality of the fuel, you can just pump all of the fuel out of the tank and replace it with new.

I am not sure why you think there is any issues with the filtration system on a boat that still runs and has been in service for 27 years.

If you have other questions about this motor you may want to purchase a service manual.

Changing the fluid in most transmissions is easier than the engine. Be sure that you do not overfill it.

Changing all of the fluids, belts and filters is just good practice so you know where you are to start with.

We leave 30+ gallons of fuel in our tank all winter long and never think about it. As I stated above, if you have any doubt pump it out and replace it new fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.